Sunwayman M10A Review - pics

OGreviews

Newly Enlightened
SUNWAYMAN M10A

P1000930s1.jpg

MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS

Utilizes Cree XP-G R5 LED (50,000 hour lifespan)

Battery: 1 x AA

Reflector: slightly orange peel

MSRP: retails for approximately $70

Dimensions

-Length: 100.1mm

-Diameter (bezel): 23.2mm Diameter (body): 21mm (measured)

-Weight: 51.4 grams (excluding battery)

- made from HA aerospace grade aluminum alloy

- Digital Sensor Magnetic Control system; a slight twist of the Rotator Ring selects different modes

- Fully-regulated constant current circuit, constant output

- Accessories: metal clip, O-ring, rubber cap

-O-rings that protect the light at all potential points of water entry

- Tail-stand capable and can be used as a candle

- Ultra-clear toughened glass lens resists scratches and impacts

- Digitally-regulated circuit maintains constant brightness

- Squared threads.

- Coating: Type III Hard Anodized

-Waterproof: IPX-8, 2 meters

Output Modes

Three constant levels and one blinking level (strobe)

- 140 Lumens (1.5 hours)

- 40 lumens (10 hours)

- 3 lumens (100 hours)

- Strobe (140 lumens)

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

The Sunwayman M10A comes in a standard thin cardboard package with a short manual and some small advertising brochures. There is a high-quality lanyard, 2 spare o-rings, and an attachable clip included as well. Overall, the packaging was very professionally made and the manual had a nice amount of information about the product specifications, as well as the box itself. I was happy to see that the included lanyard was one that could actually be used with the flashlight without having to worry about it ripping off and dropping or losing the light.

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

Design (Body):

sunwaymanm10abodypic600x365.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

The design of the Sunwayman M10A is the standard 1xAA format, with a battery tube for one AA battery and a head/reflector system that is the same diameter as the rest of the body. The quality of the aluminum finish, however, is exceptional and is far and away the best of the 1xAA flashlights I have seen. The machining is flawless and it screams quality when it's held in the hand. It has a nice weight to it and feels sturdy.

DSC_0247.jpg

The body is a measured 101mm in length and the head is 24mm while the tail-cap is 23mm.

DSC_01752.jpg

The M10A has replaced traditional knurling with grooves along the body of the flashlight which are located where the hand would be placed. There are also grooves located around the bezel which are for heat dissipation.

DSC_01742.jpg

The brightness control ring also has some rounded grooves which help in the rotation of the ring, especially when you are using only one hand. I find this groove system to be adequate and effective, very well thought out. In addition to these grooves, the body of the flashlight has 4 sections which are not rounded but are rather flat. These sections also help a great deal when gripping the flashlight and make it exceedingly comfortable to hold in a tactical grip as well as a traditional grip. The flat surfaces go up easily against my fingers and it's very nice to hold. At first I was not sure if I would have preferred a more traditional knurling, but after using it, I feel that this system works superbly.

DSC_01792.jpg

The magnetic control ring, without true knurling, is somewhat difficult to locate with your finger when you are not looking at the flashlight because it feels very similar to the rest of the body. Many times I find myself trying to rotate the bezel thinking that it's the control ring. While the grip on the control ring is adequate, I feel that maybe some more traditional knurling on this part would have been beneficial for two reasons. First, for allowing better grip while turning, and second, for allowing you to find the control ring more easily by the feel of it. It would be a more positive feedback system that would be easier to use.

The clip which is included with the Sunwayman M10A is very simple to take on and off, simply snapping into place. The clip is well constructed and provides a good grip when clipped onto a pocket. The flashlight is rounded on the outer edges so therefore it will roll but once the clip is attached, it doesn't. The lanyard also keeps the flashlight from rolling off of an even surface.

DSC_0191.jpg

Speaking of the lanyard, the M10A has a superb lanyard and a generous 4 holes for attachment. The holes are also hard anodized and most importantly, they are not rough along the inside edges. With other Fenix flashlights I have tested in the past, the lanyard has rubbed up along the hole and been frayed because this hole was bored out from metal roughly and was not finished properly afterwards (specifically the fenix L2D and TK20). This, over time, weakened the lanyard to the point that it snapped off and the flashlight was dropped. This problem could even cause someone to lose the light completely. I was very happy to see that the system on the M10A was far superior and even the lanyard itself was very good quality.

DSC_0189.jpg

One minor issue to keep in mind is that once the lanyard is attached, the flashlight can no longer tail-stand because the point-of-attachment of the lanyard is on the base of the tail-end and thus the base won't rest evenly on a surface, making it lean to one side and perhaps eventually tip over.

DSC_0221.jpg

The threads on the Sunwayman M10A are perhaps the best threads I have yet seen in a 1xAA flashlight. They are superb. These square threads are incredibly easy to twist and there is absolutely zero thread grinding in the process. They are also hard anodized and I believe they will simply not wear out at all in the future. The threads also have an O-ring to protect the flashlight from water. The design of the M10A is such that the tail-end of the flashlight is not easily removable, as in there is no simple thread system to take off the tail-cap. The battery is inserted through the top end of the battey tube which comes off of the part housing the reflector. However, it is possible to remove the tailcap if you would like to change the rubber switch on the tailcap. By using forceps from the outside, the tailcap screws out and the rubber switch can be easily replaced. There is also an O-ring here to prevent water from entering.

DSC_0226.jpg

Design (head and reflector):

DSC_01782.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_01772.jpg

The Sunwayman M10A has an orange peel reflector which is the same diameter as the rest of the flashlight tube. The reflector is approximately 2cm deep and the LED is found directly under the grooves on the head, a perfect location for heatsinking. The M10A has a think ring of aluminum extended from the body of the light surrounding the lens which protects the lens from any accidental drops or scratches.

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

LED/Beam:

The M10A uses a Cree XP-G R5 emitter and Sunwayman claims that this emitter can reach up to 140 lumens under FL1 standards on this model flashlight. These claims seem accurate as the output is close to other ANSI rated lights which have similar brightness levels. The tint of the LED is a nice cool white, with no hints of blue or green. Sunwayman only recommends using a 1.5v AA battery so I'm assuming you would not want to use other higher voltage lithium batteries to achieve more brightness. There are also no other indicated voltage ranges in the manual.

The beam created by the reflector is a very nice and smooth beam which leans more towards flood than throw. The hotspot is well defined and there is a nice and smooth ring of light surrounding it, reaching to the outer corona of the beam at an even brightness. There are no "rings" or artifacts in the beam.

AAlightslowestmodesbeamshots.jpg

AAlightshighestmodesbeamshots.jpg

User Interface:

The selling point and what is likely going to be the most popular aspect of the M10A is the magnetic control ring user interface system. The M10A uses a superior system which I believe is the most effective and easiest one to use for any 1xAA flashlight I have tested. This new system, which utilizes a magnetic control ring in conjunction with a tail switch, is very straightforward and fool-proof and allows the user the ability to change modes very easily and efficiently, without the need for clicking switches in quick succession or twisting bezels for different menus.

DSC_0192.jpg

The tail-switch on the M10A is quite stiff and requires a bit of pressure to press.

DSC_01742.jpg

This interface is operated in the following manner. First the tail-switch is pressed to turn the flashlight on. The tail switch only serves this purpose, for on and off. Once the light is on, the control ring is turned clockwise for the different brightness settings, starting on low à medium à high à strobe. The flashlight actually does not even need to be turned on to switch modes. This means that in a tactical situation, you can reach your desired mode before the flashlight is even turned on, a huge advantage over other user interface systems on other flashlights. You will always be sure you know exactly what brightness level your flashlight will turn on at. Changing the brightness is also very fast and can easily be accomplished with just one hand. I also like the fact that the final mode is the strobe, which means that it does not need to be cycled through in order to reach other constant-on settings. I have been a strong critic of blinking modes because I don't find them very useful, but with this system I can forget that they are even there.

The M10A, as described previously under the manufacturer specifications, has 3 constant-on modes which are low (3 lumens) , medium (40 lumens), and high (140 lumens). The fourth mode is the strobe. I believe these brightness settings are great for general use and am especially happy that the low setting is below 5 lumens. A very low low-mode is always important to have. I can imagine some people will want even less lumens at the lowest output setting, but I tend to like 2 or 3 lumens so it works well for me. If you like having 0.1 lumens then be aware this flashlight does not go that low.

At first I was curious as to whether I would have liked a mode between low and high, since the difference between the two is quite large. After some use I've grown accustomed to it, but I'm sure that some people might still prefer some more modes. I believe that a control ring which continuously ramps brightness might have been a step up in design, instead of pre-determined brightness settings which may be limited in some situations or uses.

Size Comparison:

AAcompx6.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

Batteries:

As stated before, Sunwayman only suggests using 1.5 v AA batteries. Higher voltage rechargeable lithium batteries might cause the circuit/LED to burn.

Conclusion:

The Sunwayman M10A is a flashlight produced by a relatively new company but the features and the quality of the light are already superior to what is currently being offered by many other companies which have been around much longer. The aluminum and anodizing on the body of the flashlight are superb and the HA anodized square threads are sure to last much longer than the standard triangular threads found on other flashlights. The user interface system, however, is what set this flashlight apart from other the most. This system is incredibly well designed and effective. Switching modes is very easy and intuitive and there is no confusion about having to click multiple times to lock modes or to have the flashlight memorize settings. Whatever setting is on the control ring is the setting that the flashlight will turn on at. I don't see how it could get much simpler than that. The only minor issue I see is that the light cannot truly tailstand when the lanyard is attached but the lanyard is so easily removable that this is not really an issue anyways. Overall I have been incredibly impressed with this little flashlight from Sunwayman.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a great review! I have one as well and I love it. It's been nothing but great.

opt

Newly Enlightened
Hi :)

Please excuse my poor english, I'm french:whistle:

The tail-switch on the M10A is quite stiff and requires a bit of pressure to press.
Is it "too" noisy ?

I believe that a control ring which continuously ramps brightness might have been a step up in design, instead of pre-determined brightness settings which may be limited in some situations or uses.
There's the V10A that works it that way :)
But with strange lowest mode (1lumen) duration: 40h quoted in the page above !?! Hope it's a mistake in that page :(
Is anyone having more accurate information about that...?

Last edited:

opt

Newly Enlightened
But with strange lowest mode (1lumen) duration: 40h quoted in the page above !?! Hope it's a mistake in that page :(
Is anyone having more accurate information about that...?

Self-responding:whistle: :
selfbuilt had done some test about that and it seam true, 40h only on lowest mode :shakehead

I have measured the battery current draw at the lowest output as 50mA on 1xNiMH, which for a 2000mAh Eneloop would translate into 40 hours runtime.

Last edited:

Napalm

Enlightened
I've measured the tail current on the M series in the low mode as 6.6 mA for the M10A and 9.15 mA for the M20A. Eneloops should have no problem delivering the specified 100/200 hours in low mode.

So... hmmm... now if you really want the continuously variable output of the V series, it will come at the price of shortened run times.

On a different note - look again at the led/reflector pic posted above. You can see only the led, well centered, with little space around it to the edge of the reflector.

I've been looking at lots of pics lately of some other 1xAA lights, and in most of them the hole in the reflector is a lot larger so you can actually see the whole square PCB on which the led is mounted, and then some.

I guess this says something positive about the care and the tolerances Sunwayman works with. Kudos to them.

Nap.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really nice review.

I was looking for a new EDC to replace my EX10 and I was first looking at the V10A but then I saw that the runtime of that was shorter. So the M10A seems to be a nice replacement for my old EX10.

rayman

cold

Newly Enlightened
I'm on a mission to replace my old ARC-P with something modern.

The M10A looks awesome! I do have two concerns though:

What happens to that rotating ring in sand and/or salty conditions?
Would people consider the M10A as a highly reliable light? (My ARC-P has never failed me, a light with a full battery not turning on I often can't afford. Been out of the flashlight game for a long time, was initially looking at Fenix but I hear a few complaints from Fenix's LD10/LD15 users about that).