ThruNite Neutron 1A - Initial observations

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like SoCal5150, I decided to pick up a ThruNite Neutron series light. Prior to this purchase I only had one other 1A light so I decided why not try the XL-L 1A Neutron.

It is important to note that deciding to post some thoughts on this light has led me to realize how much in need of a new camera I am. On to my very non-technical thoughts:

Packaging:

The light arrived in the typical box, seated within a pull out plastic tray/case. Instructions, open-ended holster and spare O-rings accompanied the light.

Size:

As also mentioned by SoCal5150, the ThruNite series is a tad bit longer than the Quarks.

Pictured below from left to right are the Quark AA Regular XP-G R5, Quark AA Tactical XP-G S2, and ThruNite Neutron XM-L

IMG_1825.jpg

Body Construction
:

What immediately stood out when I first held the light was how solid it felt. Compared to the Quarks there's a bit more heft to it (more on that in a bit) and the knurling is also more grippy. Threads are square, and anodized at the tail end. The emitter on my sample came centered, however I had a hard time focusing with macro due to the lighting.

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

Wow Factor:

Despite never having owned one, I am still reminded of the TK20 series by Fenix when looking at this light. The Neutron is built to withstand a heckuva lot it would seem.

IMG_1864.jpg

Quark AA on left, ThruNite Neutron on right

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

UI:

The UI is almost like the Quark Regular, except with one less flashy mode and it has memory (loosened mode).

Constructive Criticism:

There are two potential problems that I can find with this light. The first one is really not that big if you intend to use your light, and as such is not an issue with me. However, I thought I would mention it as I have not had this issue yet with any of my Quarks. That is pocket clip placement in relation to the head of the light. Like the Quarks, you can access different mode sets by tightening or loosening the head. The bottom of the clip rests on top of the head. Unlike the Quark, my ThruNite sample is already showing light wear (Quark Regular used for approx. 9 months, ThruNite Neutron used for 1hr..ymmv).

IMG_1856.jpg

The second potential problem is with the rubber boot/switch. There appears to be a lot of room under the boot. The best way I can describe this is to think of it like a blister on your hand when it begins to dry. It can be pushed down and flattened out, or pushed from the side causing the skin to roll over and feel like it's going to pop. Now I'm not saying that's going to be the case here mind you, I'd hate to think puss is going to come out of my flashlight's tailcap. ;) It just doesn't feel as solid as it should in relation to the rest of the light.

Final Thoughts:

I haven't had much time to actually play with this light as I've had a headache that feels it's about to turn towards a migraine. From the brief time I did have the light(s) on I can say this: The Neutron has a brighter hotspot, and puts out more light than either of the 1A Quarks (they do have more flood on the Neutron though), and has a nice lower low. This light will take a 14500 for those who would like to use one, so no need for Li-Ion users to feel left out. :D

My true only concern is the rubber boot/ switch and how well it holds up over time. Still, I am very happy with this purchase and can't wait to start carrying it with me.

IMG_1824.jpg

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was looking for a review to check out the cut threads, landed here, didnt see the uploaded photos and left bye :laughing: