What should I do to my first 6P?

Z

z_tjmcmahon

So I finally bit the bullet and got a 6P host. I know this entails another decent outlaying of cash to get it done right. My problem I have now is that I am finding it tough to figure out what exactly to do to it.

For throwers I have 2 Quark Turbos. More general lights I have a 6px, e1b, Jet III SB and Quark AA2. For floodier lights I have an L4 and a ZL SC60.

I also have a Pila Charger and like the li-ion world.

I tried to somewhat cover all of my bases with my purchases so far. Some good run time lights in there too.

So what am I missing? I have a real 6P host now and I need to mod it. First off I was thinking about sending to overready to get it bored out for 18650's. I also found a member here who will cerakote a 6P for $30. Not bad but probably a final step.

Can I go wrong with an M61L and a McClicky? Would you guys even recommend the McClicky over the click and twist cap the 6P's come with? Is the original activation interface tough to beat for long time reliability and absolute faith that the light will work when needed? I had a Quark Flat Tailcap I had ordered by itself fail on me last night for the first time and it freaked me out a bit.

I've been reading everything I can on here for months, and to be honest I dont really have any specific need for my lights. I walk around outside once in a while but its not like I am a cop or in any mission critical type situations. Also Ill probably end up doing this again because it seems like all of you do.

So therefore what would you do to your first 6P?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
An M61L w McClicky is great. But if you want ABSOLUTE faith stick with a Z41. My Netkidz switch failed after a very short period of time in my G2 so I put the original guts back in it. I would also add the XenoLED bezelguard and the black delrin tail so it will stand up. It installs easily with a mallet. Both can be found at Oveready site........................No real need for boring in my view since runtime is very good already and you can use 17670, but up to you really. :)

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I've finally experienced some problems with the stock 6P switch. Considering what Surefire is "supposed to be" and what I paid I'm pretty turned off. Pun not intended.

Up until now I really had faith in this kit. That's gone now (again, considering the hype and what I paid). My 6P has been dropped a few times, but when my 20 year old Maglites (that have been given away to friends) still work after MUCH worse abuse, well let's just say I'm no longer a Surefire fanboy.

I'd definitely upgrade the switch.

I've upgraded my dropin to a Malkoff, now I need to upgrade the switch. So I paid "big" money for a freaking aluminum tube...

And the P-60 it came with isn't worth anything now.

Bye bye Surefire...

jcalvert

Enlightened
So I finally bit the bullet and got a 6P host. I know this entails another decent outlaying of cash to get it done right. My problem I have now is that I am finding it tough to figure out what exactly to do to it.
For throwers I have 2 Quark Turbos. More general lights I have a 6px, e1b, Jet III SB and Quark AA2. For floodier lights I have an L4 and a ZL SC60. I also have a Pila Charger and like the li-ion world. I tried to somewhat cover all of my bases with my purchases so far. Some good run time lights in there too. So what am I missing? I have a real 6P host now and I need to mod it. First off I was thinking about sending to overready to get it bored out for 18650's. I also found a member here who will cerakote a 6P for $30. Not bad but probably a final step. Wait on the following steps until you put together a complete host that you like.

Can I go wrong with an M61L and a McClicky? Would you guys even recommend the McClicky over the click and twist cap the 6P's come with? Is the original activation interface tough to beat for long time reliability and absolute faith that the light will work when needed? I had a Quark Flat Tailcap I had ordered by itself fail on me last night for the first time and it freaked me out a bit. Get the McClicky Z41 tailcap self-install kit from Oveready with a softpress GITD switch boot cover seen here: http://www.oveready.com/surefire-up...lation-clicky-kit-for-surefirea-/prod_23.html

I've been reading everything I can on here for months, and to be honest I dont really have any specific need for my lights. I walk around outside once in a while but its not like I am a cop or in any mission critical type situations. Also Ill probably end up doing this again because it seems like all of you do. Next, pick up a Cryos Black Bezel from "Ronac" seen here for $55.00: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...os-Cooling-Bezel-(Surefire-Z44-6P-compatible)

Add a Bezel ring of your choice and lens kit for the Cryos head from Tactical HID seen here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...n!-SS-bezel-rings-for-SureFire-C-amp-P-Series

Since you already have dedicated throwers and flood beam lights, then either get a Malkoff M61 drop-in or better yet to make use of the heatsink capability of the Cryos head, get a Nailbender drop-in for more of a balanced beam on the floody-side which is more useful a beam-type in general-purpose applications. Perhaps a nice XM-L ($40), 3-mode (L-M-H), Smooth Reflector seen here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...l-white-XPG-XML-SST-50-90-P60-modules-(part-8)

So therefore what would you do to your first 6P? Now you have a gorgeous, high output light. If you like it enough, then you can consider paying $24 extra to get it bored, but doing so only adds the option of using a lithiun ion battery that takes your light from a 6.0A max on 2x CR123s to 4.2A max on a 1x 18650. So although boring the battery tube for an 18650 provides greater versatility and is the "green thing to do", using an 18650 lowers the voltage.

Now go back to the Cryos head thread to once again view a black 6P with the Cryos head on it...and imagine it with a 3-5 mode Nailbender XM-L installed. You will have a great, mult-purpose, multi-mode light for any type of use.

Add a Nite Ize 360 degree holster to carry it on your belt while your working, going for a walk with the dog, or enjoying the outdoors as seen here: http://www.lighthound.com/Nite-Ize-...its-flashlights-from-AA-to-D-size_p_2788.html

Jazz it up with some GITD O-Rings seen here: One specifically for under the lens and bezel ring, http://www.lighthound.com/Glow-In-The-Dark-GITD-Bezel-O-Ring-1-size_p_3761.html,

and some others for where ever you feel like strategically placing some GITD O-Rings (or not) on the host exterior seen here: http://www.lighthound.com/GITD_c_70.html and you're good to go!!

If you create this type of light, PM me and I can even describe in detail how to make a tactical grip ring for a few dollars that looks like it was meant for the light. I'll even send you a simple but custom-made lanyard. What do you think? I think it looks damn sweet!

Al the best,
John

Last edited:

trbofrek

Newly Enlightened
it really depends on your taste but I have a malkoff m60 with a McClicky switch running in my 6p currently. a stainless steel bezel ring would also be a good idea if your prone to dropping your light and if you like to have it riding in your pocket, getting a pocket clip or holster.

a cerakote coating would be awesome, i was actually thinking about buying another 6p and doing that in flat dark earth. is this other person a forum member? i would like to get more info!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've finally experienced some problems with the stock 6P switch. Considering what Surefire is "supposed to be" and what I paid I'm pretty turned off. Pun not intended.

Up until now I really had faith in this kit. That's gone now (again, considering the hype and what I paid). My 6P has been dropped a few times, but when my 20 year old Maglites (that have been given away to friends) still work after MUCH worse abuse, well let's just say I'm no longer a Surefire fanboy.

I'd definitely upgrade the switch.

I've upgraded my dropin to a Malkoff, now I need to upgrade the switch. So I paid "big" money for a freaking aluminum tube...

And the P-60 it came with isn't worth anything now.

Bye bye Surefire...
Which switch do you have, a Z41 or Z59? I'm sure if you call Surefire they would send another free of charge. If it's a Z41 type (twisty) how did it go bad? Just curious.