Why no single-AA EagleTac ?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I have an EagleTac P10A as a glovebox light and really like the simple two-level operation. OK, there is no low as such but at least General mode is a fairly useful 37 lumens rather than 60 on the larger models.

I'd like to pick up another one, but sadly the P10A appears to have been discontinued. As far as I can tell, EagleTac now have no single-AA lights - a surprising omission.

The two-cell lights had some excellent upgrades last year (P20C2 and P20A2 MkII). Why no similar upgrade for the single-cell lights ?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Glad to see that this has been recovered after the crash. I'm posting with an update and a thank-you.

I'd like to pass on a big thankyou to the person who suggested that Flashlightconnection might have some of these still in stock.
:thanks:

I managed to pick one up just in time and it arrived a couple of days ago. Very pleased: it's one of the most solid lights that I have - and now I've got two of them !

Now for the confession: have to admit that I accidentally bought a P10C2 as well. It was also on close-out, so it was a bit of an impulse-buy. It's a really nice light too, although I didn't really need another 123^2 light.
:oops:

shortstack

Enlightened
Ya the P10A is a tank of a light, accidentally dropped it multiple times from about 8' in the air on a latter onto concrete. Other then a little anno missing. Its a shame that they are discontinuing some of the P series.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to own the P10A2's big brother, the P20A2. I used it exclusively with the provided diffuser lens. I would have loved to own a P10A2 but, unlike the P20A2, it was never offered in a neutral tint.

Deal4

Enlightened
I too am surprised that EagleTac is not currently offering a single AA light. A single AA light is a very popular design. I'm still wanting the P10A, but a low mode would be nice.
Shad

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac is coming out with a whole new line of lights any day now - They call them the "d" series. They look very much like quarks and quark minis. There are a couple single AA lights in this line. The specs are in the catalog here: http://www.eagletac-usa.com/docs/EagleTacCatalog2011v1.pdf

So a few months later now, are these out yet? The d25az for instance? Not having much luck in searching.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
No wonder no one has the d25az. I don't think there is a z series anymore. What was originally the d25az in the pdf, they're now calling the d25a, & apparently have since scrapped the original d25a concept altogether. Works for me. Question: does having current regulation necessarily exclude it from having a "whine", like the quark minis?

(thanks for the link napalm)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah thanks tre I saw that through napalms I.G. link. But I just noticed the d25a's medium is 19 lumens, which is okay, but for only six hours? There are triple A lights that can compete with that. Come on man!

Lighteous

Enlightened
Why don't you check the usual suspects such as IlluminationGear?

You'll be in for a surprise.

Nap.

Wow! Looks like some nice new models from Eagletac. Great...another single cell CR123 light that I will have to get! Thanks Nap!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: does having current regulation necessarily exclude it from having a "whine", like the quark minis?

Or does being current regulated have no relationship with whether or not a light might whine?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
<removeable clip>
To remove the custom M2 hex screw on the flashlight. A custom-made M1.55 hex key is required, available via ET dealers or us (Regular M1.5 hex key may strip the screws).

So it's removeable not with a standard hex or star pattern but only using some custom wrench they came up with that's not even included among the accessories?! In that case they might as well sell the lanyard separately too. Keep the holster, send me the tool instead.

:shakehead

Maybe you could get a dealer to remove it before he ships it to you.

Napalm

Enlightened
So it's removeable not with a standard hex or star pattern but only using some custom wrench they came up with that's not even included among the accessories?!

You don't need much time with a file to transform an M2 hex key into an M1.55 one.

Nap.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specs table lists everything but tint. I'm guessing that that means "You can have any tint, as long as it's cool."
Unless they pushed 'outdoor-white' into the S2 bin...
It is wide enough [CCT wise] to satisfy everybody.
5000K cool-neutral & 4000K warm-neutral

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay someone explain THIS discrepancy. Look at LED vs. OTF lumens in their comparison chart, particularly the 2nd lowest mode of the d25a & d25c2. "led lumens" are 44 & 34 respectively, but their "OTF lumens" for that mode are 19 & 24.... 44 led lumens = 19 otf lumens, while 34 led lumens = 24 otf?! I'd assume it has something to do with the different batteries or body sizes, except that none of their other levels above or below that one have a similar discrepancy between these two models.

I just want to know which one has a level closest to 30 lumens. Is it 44 led = (actually more than) 19 otf & there's an error there somewhere, or is that correct & 34led really does mean 24otf & that is closest to 30?

You don't need much time with a file to transform an M2 hex key into an M1.55 one.
BTW Napalm that would be fine, & thanks for the idea, except that I'd still have to either buy a new hex wrench just for that purpose, or render mine of that size unusable for what it's intended- I'd just assume buy the one EagleTac is peddling (& complain about it).

Last edited: