A couple of 4sevens questions (Tactical line mainly and some LED questions)

Z

z_shaggy999

Hello all. This is my first post. I've been browsing through these forums trying to get some information and I think I have everything figured out, but I wanted to do a check-in to confirm everything I'm thinking and make sure everything is right.

I'm here because nutnfancy says this is the place to go to ask flashlight questions. I ordered my very first tactical flashlight, the Quark AA2 Tactical, and it shipped out on Friday. Hope to get it next week. I'm hoping I don't become a flash-a-holic but I'm already wanting a Preon II and an AA Tactical. :(

I do a lot of backpacking and that's what I'm aiming to use this light for. Up until now I've been running a Gerber Cornea light (standard Walmart-style LED light - 18 lumens single-mode on 2xAA's) and a Petzl Tactikka XP Adapt LED (claims 40 lumens on 3xAAA's, but that's only in boost mode which requires holding down a button... I think it's closer to 20 lumens). Anyway, both of these lights either put out way more light than I need or not enough light when I need it so I'm looking forward to the tactical's many output modes.

But I have a few questions about the tactical line in general and a couple of LED questions.

1) The first question regards Fenix Accessory compatability. I had read about peoples issues of tail-standing to bounce light off of a ceiling (in my case, a tent ceiling) and I didnt pay too much attention to it because its hard to find a flat surface to place a flashlight -- particularly in a tent. But then I saw that Fenix has a Camping Lantern attachment for its lights and I thought someone had said that this is compatible with the quark tactical line. If this is true Im thinking I could hang the light upside down with the lantern attachment.

I am interested in picking up this lantern attachment, but I want to make sure it fits. Also, in addition to the lantern attachment it looks like Fenix also makes a diffuser cap that does much the same thing. I cant tell the difference between what these things do. The one thing is that it *looks* like what the lantern attachment does is it deflects all of the light downwards (assuming tail-standing) whereas the diffuser cap sort of diffuses it everywhere. If Im hanging the light upside down from my tent ceiling would the diffuser cap be better than the lantern attachment? This is assuming these things fit. Also the lantern attachment looks clear while the diffuser looks opaque. Fenix also sells a red diffuser attachment, which looks cool too.

I also would like to pick up a red filter. My understanding is that the Quark red filter can only be used if you buy the prism attachment that converts the light out at a 90-degree angle. Is this correct? If so, Im thinking the Fenix red filter might be the better option. But there are two of them, a Fenix red filter and a Fenix TK-Series red filter. Which one is the compatible one?

Also, my understanding is that the Fenix Headband Fenix Bike Mount are compatible with the tactical. Also, what does the headlight diffuser do? Would that be useful if I use the light as a bike light?

2) Tail-standing. If I did want to do tail-standing off a flat surface my understanding from reading on here is that a Quark Turbo Flat tailcap provides the exact same on/off interface as the tactical with tail-standing capabilities. Correct?

3) This is more of an LED question... but I have been reading about the LEDs of the tactical series (unfortunately, after I ordered my light) and people complaining about a greenish tint. That worries me, but I'm reserving judgement for the moment until it arrives.

What I was reading, though, is that neutral lights are more effective in the outdoors because they can cut through fog and stuff better. My question is I hear that 4sevens has sold neutral lights in the past and I am wondering is if they do this often or was it a one-time deal or what? Would a neutral light be recommended for my purposes?

Color rendition normally isn't an issue for me because I'm usually using the red filter on my headlamp anyways and I imagine it would be the same with the AA2 (supposing the Fenix attachment is compatible), but I was thinking about situations where I might be using it in the snow or fog or something. Maybe a neutral LED would be more effective.

4) Last question, and this might sound stupid... but does anyone know if the strobe feature is any at all useful in an animal attack? The reason I ask is because my first introduction to tactical flashlights was when someone told me about SureFire flashlights a few years ago. I looked into them and read testimonials from people claiming that the extremely bright light stopped bear/elk/cougar/dog from attacking. it would seem to me that a strobe might even be more effective at confusing an animal and stopping an attack. Or is the strobe pretty much useless except for when trying to get attention (like from a rescue chopper -- in which case I would think S.O.S. mode would be better). I dont carry guns into the wilderness (or at all) so I am just wondering if this would be effective at all. Of course I would have a knife in the other hand, but I would rather it not come to that. :)

I'm kind of thinking about testing the strobe out on my neighbor's pomeranian...