Firefighter Needs EDC With Good Throw For Under $200

• Thread starter z_SoulLessGinger
  • Start date
Z

z_SoulLessGinger

Hey Guys,

Looking to buy (online) a EDC flashlight for work. This flashlight won't be going in to any fires or hazardous atmospheres since I already have a Pelican incan on my bunker gear. Mostly just need a GP flashlight for lighting up addresses from the truck, fire/smoke/illegal burn investigations in the woods, searching for patients and cars that have gone off the interstate into the trees, etc. Basically all the things I'm using the truck's rechargeable Maglite for now, just much less bulky.

My preferences so far:

-A bright light with a great throw and a somewhat useable flood. Runtime is not critical.

-A good clip would be nice, as I'm at a real busy station and we're in and out of the truck all day and I don't care for holsters.

-Small. For example, a RRT-2 would be too big. It's going to ride on my duty belt, so I don't want it distracting me while it's not being used.

-1xCR123 or a small 2xCR123

-Strobe

-Crenellated bezel might come in handy occaisionally, but not a must.

-Dark, non-reflective finish.

-Durability and reliability are plusses obviously, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a tank. There are other lights on the truck.

So far looked at HDS EDC-T1B-200, but the lack of clip has kept me from pulling the trigger. RRT-0 looked good, but some spotty reviews and a wimpy looking clip has given me pause as well. Tiablo E1A looks good, so does the TL1 but I have no idea where to get them or how much they are. Quarks look good, Fenix PD20...I'm overwhelmed with choices though. :eek:

I guess the main thing is that I have no idea what the output or throw characteristics are of the different LED's found in these type of flashlights.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mckee338

Newly Enlightened
Hi there - this post is a few months old, but I thought I would reply. I use a Surefire E2D LED Defender as my EDC while on duty. I also carry a Streamlight Stylus pen light. And a Survivor on my turnouts. http://firerescuetech.com/pocket-dump/
EDC.jpg

mckee338

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to add:

The defender has a clip, but it's not very solid - mine broke off the first week of use.