Best thrower that uses either rechargeable aa or d size batteries

bighest

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys

Looking for a great thrower that uses rechargeable batteries, being AA or D size.

I currently have the fenix tk 40, which throws fantastically

And was wondering if there were any other great throwers that use those battery. I tried the LL X21 but it not suppose to be used with rechargeable batteries.

Reason being why I want to use nimh batteries and not move over to other types is that I hav got many rechargeable batteries AA and D size and have great maha chargers for them...

Look forward to hearing your responses.

And no I'm not interested in trying the other batteries:)

firelord777

Enlightened
Your TK40 has around 18,000 lux. Its average in the throw department, but not a good ratio of throw to size. The TK41 XM-L will come out this april I think and will have 55,000+ lux of throw. Intense, and lots of throw. Upgraded, much better UI. More modes I think, lower low, higher high 800 OTF, a little less than 1000 led lumens. By far the brightest AA flashlight that will be available in the near future. I'll get it.

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm trying to find an AA light with good throw too.

I really like the Fenix lights and currently have the Ld20 and Ld10 which are brilliant, especially when out walking at night as they put out a lot of area light for the size. I also just bought the new R5 iTP A3 EOS (upgraded of course) which, again has fantastic output for the size. It blows the socks off my lenser p4.

Whilst I am very happy with them, they are all more flood orientated. What I need now is a light with a good long throw for keeping in my car. I've just ordered some of the new eneloop xx's so I really want to stick with an aa light. I want to get something good, but at the same time I don't want to spend a fortune. I've seen the Fenix TK20 for £32, but it's still rocking the Q2 and the running times aren't great for the output. Suggestions please!

Thanks in advance.

Bronco

Enlightened
Dedomed: Light output minus 50%, no?

There is some lumen loss out the front with the de-domed version, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as 50%. And yes, IIRC, the lux reading was in the high 80K range, so it will easily out throw the TK41.

Edited to add: the VaraPower 2000 includes tailcap springs and a battery sleeve such that it can operate on either 3xD cells, or 4xC cells. I believe max power is achieved in the 4xC configuration.

Last edited:

belomeclone

Enlightened
Your TK40 has around 18,000 lux. Its average in the throw department, but not a good ratio of throw to size. The TK41 XM-L will come out this april I think and will have 55,000+ lux of throw. Intense, and lots of throw. Upgraded, much better UI. More modes I think, lower low, higher high 800 OTF, a little less than 1000 led lumens. By far the brightest AA flashlight that will be available in the near future. I'll get it.

1. I love all the XM-L upgrades!

2. I have absolutely NO NEED for this flashlight, but now I want it.

Bronco

Enlightened
Would anyone have any beamshots of a de-domed light?

I took a very rudimentary one tonight with the cell phone, shining on the wall from a distance of about six feet if you're interested. I have a 4500K VaraPower on high with 4 C cells on the right side of the pic, and a 4300K neutral Eagletac M2XC4 (3x XR-E R2) on turbo on the left. The pic is fairly useless other than to compare the relative size of the hotspots. It does a poor job of conveying how much more intense the VaraPower's hotspot is. Regardless, I'd be happy to email it to you if you wanted to PM me an address.

Last edited:

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
The TK41 is gonna be a bit above my price range I'm afraid, especially buying one here in the UK where it's on pre-order for £112.99. To be honest it's a bit more muscle than I need too. Ideally I'm looking for something somewhere around the £40 mark with as long a throw as possible and running on 2-4 AA's.

That Dereelight javelin looks like it fits the bill. One question though, I was checking it out on their site and I was very interested in the option of adding an extension to allow it to run off of 3 aa's. Nice to have the choice. However, at the bottom of the page it says;

"The XP-G emitter has the relative VF, do not recommend use new 3xAA batteries with the extension tube."

Huh?

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, I'm torn between the Dereelight javelin and the eagletac P100a2. Both around the same price, the eagletac seems to win on build quality and run time, the javelin wins on output.

Expert advice great fully appreciated.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Blaster Next Generation from Elektrolumens will blow the other LEDs out of the lake! It uses 3 rechargeable D batteries.:devil:

Bronco

Enlightened
The Blaster Next Generation from Elektrolumens will blow the other LEDs out of the lake! It uses 3 rechargeable D batteries.:devil:

I'd say the VaraPower 2000 will give it a pretty good run for its money in initial output. Of course, the single mode Blaster has much more heatsinking capability, but the VaraPower has the infinitely variable rotary control knob and excellent M@g machining quality.