Just recieved the new infinite brightness RRT-0...*pics inside*

Z

z_tdoom15

I ordered this after many hours of debate on what 1xCR123 to buy, and I am very happy with the decision. I ordered it from Bugoutgearusa.com for $83 shipped. It did not come with a clip (still waiting for news from Jetbeam about why it wasn't included), BUT it does come with the AA extender included in the price!

Specs per Jetbeam:

Using CR123 Battery or 14500 Li-ion

High Mode = 255 Lumens, 60 min

Low Mode = .003 Lumens

Using AA Battery

High Mode = 180 Lumens, 45 min

Low Mode = .003 Lumens

The anodizing is very nice and even, and the AA extender matches the body perfectly. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how relatively small it was after reading all the comments about everyone thinking it was too big. It is just right in the CR123 form IMO, however it is pretty long in the AA form.

The brightness ring has a good feel to it, very smooth. Turn it all the way to the right for max brightness, then turn it to the left to lower the brightness. Turn it to the left just far enough and you hit the first detent, which is nice positive lockup that will prevent you from passing it inadvertantly. You are now in standy by mode, even if you click the light on, it will not work...this is done so that you can set it here while in your pocket/bag and not accidently turn it on and drain your battery.

Turn it one more click to the left and you enter max brightness strobe mode. I like the location of the strobe, it's not easily accessed by accident. There is also a hidden SOS which is activated by turning the ring all the way back and forth 3 times, nice to have and well hidden.

On to the negative, if you can call it that. Since it can tail stand, the clicky is a bit difficult to depress fully. You have to use about the first inch of your thumb pad in order to really get in there. In addition, the momentary is a little deep to activate easily. The easiest way to grip it and activate easily is the cigar hold rather than the typical tactical grip. If I had one recommendation for this light, it would be that the clicky under the boot was another millimeter longer allowing it to come close to touching the bottom of the rubber boot. This would still allow it to tail stand and make activating the light a little bit easier. Overall though, its nothing you cant get used to and is a fair trade for tail standing ability.

*On to the Beam!*

Color: It is pure white, there is NO hint of blue or purple WHATSOEVER (this was a great surprise after everything that I had read about the older R5's tint). It is pretty much dead on in terms of color with my TK15 (maybe even slightly warmer), but as far as I can tell in the day time, it is pretty close to pure white. This also seems to be the general consensus of what I've read from other new RRT-0 owners.

Beam Pattern: I have the smooth reflector as I wanted to atleast have some throw with the R5. There is a TINY donut hole in the center with the SMO reflector on a white wall about 20 ft away, and I mean TINY. It is so unnoticeable that I really had to look hard to confirm that that is what it was. 1 meter from the wall, you don't see a thing, and anything after 20 ft, you also don't see a thing. This is literally a non issue.

As far as rings, there is the defined hotspot with ever so slightly defined rings of decreasing brightness spilling from the center...but that is not be mistaken for a dark ring in the beam pattern. However, towards the very very edge of the spill, there does seem to be a slightly darker ring, I honestly can't tell how significant it is until I see it outside at night, but since it is so far outside of the hotspot (and useable spill), my guess is that your eyes will never venture to that part of the beam anyhow. I will report back tonight when I get a chance to try it outside in the dark.

*On to the pics* (EDIT: outdoor beam shots added in post #10 below)

Surefire 123, Extender, AA, RRT-0, TK15, Mini Mag LED 2xAA

IMG_0599.jpg

With the AA extender on the RRT-0

IMG_0600.jpg

DSC03025.jpg

DSC03028.jpg

DSC03030.jpg

DSC03016.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

Reflector diameter is almost equal to a nickel

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03040.jpg

Low Low with the lights off...it goes sooo low!

DSC03017.jpg

Low Low with the lights on

DSC03018.jpg

Tail stand on high with Duracell Alky AA (paint in the bathroom is blue, does not acurately shot beam tint)

DSC03020.jpg

Tail standing on high with Surefire primary CR123 (again, paint on the wall and ceiling is blue, hence the tint)

DSC03022.jpg

This is the MOST accurate picture of the beam profile on a white wall, although in real life the hot spot is a bit more defined

DSC03033.jpg

The rings are NOT that noticeable in person, it's just the camera adjusting itself

DSC03034.jpg

^ditto as above

DSC03036.jpg

I will try to get some outdoor beam shots tonight, however my photography skills are limited and I will only post them if I think they accurately depict the product as I see it in real life! Feel free to ask if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them for you!

kromeke

Enlightened
Infinite brightness? There goes the lumen comparisons...:(

(I know, infinitely variable brightness.)

Napalm

Enlightened
The head contacts look robust, Napalm likes!

If only it wouldn't be so huge with the AA extender.... it's nearly as big as the TK15, for an AA light that is humongous....

Nap.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infinite brightness? There goes the lumen comparisons...:(

Yeah, but we can have games where we see who can turn it up the furthest before they are vaporized, more points the longer they remain in a plasma state. Unfortunately most people just don't have the power source for this light to reach it's potential, and Jetbeam decided they would not allow regular batteries to explode as requirements increased... so really... there is just no party with this light.

philsyson

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys
Can anyone share the serial number on the body of their S2? Mine is SN:43W 1010R5. Only reason I ask is because it's supposed to be an S2 but the R5 in the serial number indicates it's an R5 body? Can anyone help clarify?
Thanks
Phil

Gryffin

Enlightened
If only it wouldn't be so huge with the AA extender.... it's nearly as big as the TK15, for an AA light that is humongous….

Well, the control ring requires some extra length. But in exchange, you get a larger reflector, which give it better throw than most 1xAA lights.

I like the design, especially the fact that with the adapter, it can use AA alkaline, AA NiMH, Energizer Lithium, 14500 Lithium Ion, CR123A, or 16340 cells. Damn thing can eat pretty much anything smaller than a C cell. Add to that the excellent tint, excellent output, excellent throw for its size, and of course, the control ring interface, and it's damn close to a perfect pocket light IMHO.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel a little jipped I paid the extra $15 or so for the extender when others got it for free. Also is the S2 much different that the R5? I might get an S2 but only if I get the extender this time without paying extra for it.

ps. Anyone know if the strike bezels are cross compatible between the models they list? The description is confusing at best/ misleading at worst. It says the strike bezels fit all 4 models of listed Jetbeam flashlights, which to me would mean if you buy one of these strike bezels, you'd be able to install it on any of the 4 Jetbeams you own. Once you add one to your cart, there is a drop down box asking which model Jetbeam you own, which may mean all 4 bezels are unique to the specific Jetbeam model?

Last edited:

philsyson

Newly Enlightened
I just love this torch. I have the R2 and S2 versions. The quality of finish and overall design are outstanding.

ishmael

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys
Can anyone share the serial number on the body of their S2? Mine is SN:43W 1010R5. Only reason I ask is because it's supposed to be an S2 but the R5 in the serial number indicates it's an R5 body? Can anyone help clarify?
Thanks
Phil
My body says exactly the same thing but the card that came in the box indicates a different SN which I don't see on the body yet.

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I was rather curious about battery management when my Zebralight H31 would not switch on with a rather flat CR123A. When rested it would but not restart. The Surefire Saint was a fraction more forgiving but not much better. Ok I have a Jetbeam RTT0 V5 torch so give it a go. Jetbeams battery management must by Dracula is switched on gave a very decent light. Left it one for minute and switched it off and then on and it work, yeap bit dimmer but still very usable.

This torch impressed my from first pick up and has continued to impress. I just wish Jetbeam made a head lamp with the same electronics as it near perfect in use and performance. Top stuff.

Cheers