sunwayman M20C Review

Budda

Enlightened
Hello everybody. Apologize me for my bad english. Here's my little review of Sunwayman M20C.

imgp6779.jpg

xAcn5.jpg

It works with 1x18650 or 2x16430 (both primaries and rechargeable), uses an old XR-E R2 led.

Light has 3 levels + a strobo mode. You can select the level using a rotary ring, which is on the head. Levels are: low (12 lumens)-med (40 lumens)-high (240) -strobo. Imho levels are correctly spaced.

My model is flawless: anodizing, finitures are perfect; thickness are well sized and trapezoidal threads work great. They are also anodized fot tailcap lock out. I believe that all flashlights should have this feature, it's too useful.

IUQbM.jpg

JxE2x.jpg

Size is small for a 18650 battery with rotary ring: I have a Jetbeam RRT-0 and a Nitecore SR3, and their heads are really big for a 1xcr123 flashlight.

Tailstanding is stable and easy to perform, since the switch is embedded into the tailcap but still easy to use, even with gloves.

wjVWH.jpg

The ring rotates smoothly, you dont have a visual mark on it, but you have a tactile confirmation since the magnet engages the level, every level has a clear click. The ring presents also some grooves to improve grip, not too deep however.

I love and own ring flashlights (as said, JB RRT-0, NC SR3 and ET M2C4), as you can select the output BEFORE the light is on, and you can cycle through levels as you desire if you are fast with hands :)

The jutting positive pole on the head allows the use of flat top batteries, as AW's 18650 2600mAh that I use.

Unlike some others old R2 flashlight that were semi regulated with 18650 and regulated with 16430 (Olight M20, Eagletac T20C2), M20C features improved regulation with 18650 and you get really good runtime: 2.7hrs on high, 26 on med and 100 on low (claimed) and a lovely low low level. Performance is somehow limited with RCR, so Ill go with high capacity 18650 :thumbsup:

Using a R2 emitter, with an OP reflector, M20C's throw performance are close to Olight M20.

It's possible to take apart the head, both from its end, both from the positive pole (unscrewing a screw). This allows access to led and reflector, for those who consider the idea of modding the M20C.

lVTzU.jpg

Momentary on is possible, due to rotary ring. However, if you push slowly the switch, you'll should notice a brief preflash at all levels. It appears also when the ring is between levels. This preflash, unlike other flashlight's one, isn't an high ouptut flash, but it's at the lowest level.

Many people won't notice it, since is low and brief. But expert CPFers that uses momentary on will find this annoying :thumbsdow .

M20C comes with a clip and tactical ring for cigar grip. Tactical ring when installed (after removing the o-ring) is not fixed, and can rotate. Clip is well designed, but its hold on the flashlight only by his design: there's nothing like a ring that screws on it. So, if you make a certain amount of pressure in the right direction, it will fall.

No holster provided, while other flashlights in its range of price do :oops:.

Here's the M20C in my medium sized hands.

JliDr.jpg

Cons:

• lack of grip ( I use a lanyard to prevent light slip)
  • not too secured clip (really complains on a tactical light)
  • low pre-flash
  • not provided a Cr123 holder, so CR123 and RCR may rattle :shrug: .
  • lack of holster: almost every flashlight with M20c's price comes with, and Sunwayman doesn't make even one that would be possible to purchase separately.
Pros:

• friendly look and UI, good for non CPFers
  • increased regulation with 18650
  • flat top 18650 works
  • rotary ring works flawless, strobo is easy accessible but not enough to annoy
  • the lack of grippy and jutting parts will also prevent your clothes to be shredded (I keep my M20C in the jacket when I'm out)
One last thing: usually, flashlights that features polarity inversion protection don't have jutting positive pole. So, if If a manufacturer decides to make a flashlight without reverse polarity protection and a jutting + pole, why they won't use a spring as + pole? This will prevent damages to light's head and lights turning off for an instant when falling.

Finally, I really like the M20C, it's in my jacket as EDC (which I think is the task where performs best). From this experience with this Sunwayman product, I'll hope to have and use other flashlights that they made

:wave::wave:

T45

Enlightened
Hey Budda! Just recently bought my very own M20C and really like it! I don't have any pre-flash wit my M20C but the M20A I have does.

Nice review.