Just a little flashlight geek story!

mst3k

Enlightened
I edc a McLux and use it all the time at work. Wasn't even thinking about it, but I am having some major reconstruction done to the inside of my house and there were workers inside all day yesterday and working on wiring and walls and such. I knew it would be a bit of a disruption, but I never even thought about power. I got home last nite and opened the door to a pitch black house and none of the wall switches did anything. I whipped out the ole Mclux and was able to find a couple of circuits still working and within a little while had plugged in a few extension cords and had a light and my TV and stuff in my bedroom operational. Yeah!! If I didn't carry a light all the time, I have no idea how long it would have taken to fool around in the dark trying to find a light in a drawer somewhere. So if you ever feel like a geek always having a lite on your side, it's times like this that you really appreciate our little obsession.

Just decided to share this.

Have fun.

avusblue

Enlightened
I had the same experience last night. I was visiting with a couple friends and we went out to leave after dark, and one of them has a Mazda Miata. He was having trouble with a sticky zipper on the convertible top's rear window. A black night, a black interior, and a black convertible top -- whip out the good ol' SureFire L4 and turn that black into light!! Mission accomplished in about 10 seconds. And after everyone gave me good-natured grief about what a geek I am, they proceeded to rave about the tiny little light that's just unbelievably white and bright!

I graciously declined to answer when someone asked how much it cost, though . . . .

Dave

StuU

Enlightened
Another story. My wife, her sister, and myself were at the local drama theatre watching a production in which my daughter played a role. After the production we left to find the van and return home. Sister-in-law had her keys out but could not quite find the door lock. I asked politely if she needed a light and quickly whipped out my Brinkman Legend. Suddenly the whole vehicle and parking lot were bathed in a flood of intensely bright light. Sister-in-law looked like a deer in front of car headlights!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I was visiting a friend in a mounatin village in France this summer, and in his old house there are lots of things with more than two legs ... you know ... crawly things .... bigger than you'd like to see them ... nearly everywhere ... especially at night.
I thanked the Great Maker and Surefire for the L4 that was able to illuminate everything at once, so that I could find a safe passage to the toilets and lay out a battle plan to wage war against those nasty critters ...
As I am very afraid of everything with too much legs and a chitin body I slept with my L4 in hand.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
mst3k said:
... So if you ever feel like a geek always having a lite on your side, it's times like this that you really appreciate our little obsession.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better a geek with a light than a fool in the dark.

Brightnorm

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I was driving home from work one night after dark, and saw a lady using a maglight facing her house the opposite way from me. She was obviously having trouble seeing whatever it was she was looking at. So I decided to help her out by shining the SFM6 her way. I dont think She ever really knew what happened, but I'm sure she "saw the light"

Another time I was visiting my brother in law. We were driving home one night after running to the store. There was a guy who got a car stuck on the side of the road, and as we approched the intersection, another guy was walking very fast towards him. This guy was yelling and screaming all kinds of foul stuff. Anyway my brother in law said "give me the M6" So I passed it over and he instantly and perfectly blinded the guy who was in the middle of yelling. He stopped yelling dropped his head and turned the other way. We got the feeling that he thought the police had shown up and he was busted.

JCW

Newly Enlightened
I have just gotten interested in flashlights. The most tactical use of my SF Outdoorsman has been every morning I use it to tell if the socks in my sock drawer paired up correctly. After going to work with one dark blue and one black sock I started using the SF to tell the difference in the dark colors. Works great and I am ready if the bad guy ever makes the mistake of coming into the bedroom. I will be able to tell if his socks are matched properly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NewsFlash

Enlightened
JCW,

When you say SF Outdoorsman I take it you're running the original MNO2 (25 lumen) lamp assembly, am I right? What kind of runtime are you getting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

wwglen

Enlightened
Just a little thought I came up with a few years ago:

Whats the difference between a GEEK and a NURD?

A Geek knows what he is and is PROUD of it.

A Nurd THINKS he is a normal guy.

wwglen

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wwglen said:
A Geek knows what he is and is PROUD of it.

A Nurd THINKS he is a normal guy.
wwglen

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... good one!

Now, for my geek story... happened just last night too. I decided to go for a trail run yesterday evening but it was kinda late, so i had to bring my lights with me (is that a good excuse or what?). I use a Pelican Headsup 3LED, which gives me great runtime and illumination...and a UKE2L for spotting trails ahead of me. So anyway I was about halfway thru and this group of bikers came up behind me... I was surprised to see that only 1 of them had a light and it was a red blinking rear led light!! He was leading, and the rest of them were just trying their best to see in the fading evening light... All 4 were surprised to see me on foot, and equipped with a light even!! (They weren't too talkative then cos they weren't sure whether I was real or not I think!!)

Anyway I let them pass, and then continued my run... I was keeping up with the last guy on the bike, who must've freaked out cos he kept turning back to make sure that the footsteps was coming from me, not some wild animal or something else!! The only reason i could keep up was i could see where I was going and they couldn't!! Anyway, when we got out of the trail, we stopped to take a break, and I found out that they weren't expecting to be in there that long as they got lost!! So started a short lesson (Flashaholic 101) on LED lights and why one should always have a light on him no matter what time of day... Showed them my headlamp and it blew them away (one of them looked into it and turned on the light... geez, amatuers..) and then I whipped out my UKE 2L and I think they were convinced that M*glites were crap!! Think they saw the light yesterday evening...

MXDan

Newly Enlightened
Last month I was at my local gun and knife show in my hometown. I'm checking out knives and 'click' the whole place goes pitch black. It's only 11:00 am and we're in complete darkness. Lucky for me, I have my E2e. I keep right on checking out the knives at the table I'd been standing at. I help a couple other people with the light and end up walking out with a new Microtech Exodus. Never would have had a chance to see it if it weren't for my SF!
Now I never doubt carrying a light, even in the morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
Several years ago, I was hiking into a remote trout pond in New Hampshire, very early in the morning. (About 2 hours before sunrise) There was a bright moon, and I was hiking without my light on, to preserve my night vision. About halfway up, the cry of a wildcat erupted almost on top of my position. I dropped all my gear on the trail except for my 6P, which I lit up and shined about every which way for about five minutes. I could hear something moving in the brush off the trail, but I never did see what kind of cat it was. But whatever it was, it did not come back, and that did not bother me a bit. We had been hearing reports from hunters of mountain lions in the area, and it was real controversial. Mine may have just been a bobcat, but I felt a lot better when it left, whatever it was.

David <><

JCW

Newly Enlightened
I am running the 25 lumens. Haven't had to change batteries as yet and I haven't had to use it for an extended period in which to test the run times. It is plenty bright enough for the general use that I put a flashlight through. I will be going to a reunion the first week in October at a state campground and I hope to put the Outdoorsman to good use. I bought the extra battery carrier and a spare bulb from SF to take along for emergency use.

I'll post results when I get back.