Just how hot is it?

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone here ever come up with some numbers as to how hot the lens/lamp assemby gets on a high performance flashlight? I've searched through the forum and haven't been able to find anything.

Rifter

Enlightened
Hot enough to melt a Lexan lense and Nylon
grin.gif
If you find the melting point of lexan and nylon that would give you a ball park figure.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carley talks about their halogen bulbs reaching 300 degrees C.

Mag says that their lexan lenses are most prone to melting on wide flood setting. I don't understand the physics, but the reflective path of IR energy must be shorter further from the center of the lens. I would have thought that concentrated energy in the center of the lens would create problems.

I can tell you that a P91 LA run on NiMH's for 45 minutes in a DB6AA or DB8AA flashlight won't melt the lens so long as the Bezel is left loose enough not to allow the reflector to contact the lens.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Rifter & lemlux - Thanks for the info. I'm trying to determine how to go about testing and comparing float & borosilicate glass. I want to see just how much thermal shock a piece of float glass can withstand and how it would apply to a flashlight application.