flickering Jetbeam TCR2?

Z

z_macnoodle

Seeing that most who actually bought a Jetbeam TCR2 are also likely members here (regular people just don't spend this much money on a flashlight :D), I have a quick question:

Does your TCR2 flicker at lower powers? I just took delivery of mine, and mine unfortunately does. :ironic: I just thought it would be interesting to see how widespread the problem is, and what people are doing about it. So if you voted YES, please let us know what you did about the problem. Thanks!

EDIT: If you could include your light's individual Limited Edition number (out of 500), that would be great.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow ..... z macnoodle you joined the forum in Dec 1969

screenie.png

Last edited:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
#400 here.
Primaries seem to cause flickering, rechargeable's do not.
I'm pretty sure the doco that accompanies the light says you have to use rechargeable's.

vk10

Newly Enlightened
From the Manual:

"BATTERY REPLACEMENT.
Advanced circuitry in JETBeam TCR2 flashlight detects when a battery can
no longer provide enough voltage for a given brightness setting. If the light
begins to flash while not in strobe mode, either a lower output setting should
be selected or the batteries should be replaced."

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
#266.
I have had a TC-R2 for a few days now.
I use disposable CR123's.
No flickering yet, on any mode.

Is it better to use disposables usually with 1500 mAH capacities, or rechargeable 16340's with only around 800 mAH capacity?
Wouldn't the 16340's have very short battery endurance???

rich297

Newly Enlightened
#266.
I have had a TC-R2 for a few days now.
I use disposable CR123's.
No flickering yet, on any mode.

Is it better to use disposables usually with 1500 mAH capacities, or rechargeable 16340's with only around 800 mAH capacity?
Wouldn't the 16340's have very short battery endurance???

RCR's provide less runtime than a primary but greater voltage resulting in more lumen output. I haven't done a runtime test but I would guess that a AW 16340 would run high mode for about 45 minutes.

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
No flickering on mine yet, I havent had a chance to play with it too much as I just got i tthe other day. i am using regular primaries.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I think this came up before the crash but it appears they all flicker on primaries but again, not consistantly and it's very minor". What am I going to do about? Absolutely nothing, :tired: it is such a great torch and all the excellent features out weigh a little flicker :thumbsup:.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I'm a bit confused.
I know that unlike a disposable CR123, a rechargeable 16340 has lower mAH capacity and higher voltage, therefore the 16340 can have greater brightness.
However, I also heard that some flashlights will be brighter with higher voltagem, while other flashlights have some voltage compensation mechanism that delivers the same brightness regardless of voltage.
(1) So does the Jb TC-R2 S2 @ 310 lumens have "fixed" brightness if using the lower capacity higher voltage rechargeable 16340's?
Or is the TC-R2 S2 actually brighter on 16340's?

I also heard that it tends to flicker more on primary disposables.
(2) Does it also flicker on 16340 rechargeables as the voltage drops and the capacity empties out?

I am considering buying 16340's...

scout24

Flashaholic
#211 flickers on Primaries, between 25% and 75% output, but is steady on RCR's... My RRT-0 does not do this...

nbjly

Enlightened
New run S2 "VIP" - flickers/won't stay on running very low. This with an RCR or an IMR. This isn't numbered.

I'm pretty disappointed in this light.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I run mine exclusively on rcr123 absolutely no flickering. I can't see flickering on primary either but I rarely use one. I consider this a strictly rechargeable light because I want max output.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
#266 of 500.

Originally I used brand new primaries.
When brand new, TC-R2 S2 is fine.
As the disposable primary is used up and the voltage falls, say below 3 volts, then:
1) we can not get max brightness any longer; it turns on at max, then in half a second, it drops to a lower brightness setting in proportion to the amount of power left in the disposable battery.
As the battery depletes, the maximum brightness falls!
2) as the disposable primary battery really depletes, then the TC-R2 will flicker.
So when it flickers, it's time to replace, or almost time to replace battery.

Later, I purchased AW16340 Protected 3.7 V & 750 mAH from AW in cpfmarketplace, and it has been absolutely wonderful!
1) The higher voltage of the rechargeables gives greater peak brightness!
2) Furthermore, that beautiful peak brightness remains "constant", as the battery depletes! Wonderful.
No flickering whatsover, as the rechargeable battery depletes.

The only downside to the rechargeables, is th3 750 mAH capacity means I must recharge every 2 to 3 weeks depending on how much I use.
Also, since the brightness does NOT fall over time, to give warnings of low battery volume - the flashlight will suddenly fall flat.
When it goes flat, it will turn on at maximum brightness like usual, but only for a second, then it will switch off.
So I carry a spare 16340 in my briefcase.

It is so easy to recharge the battery - it only takes several hours on my budget DSD charger.
Rechargeables let you use the flashlight as much as you like, without fear of wasting money.
Rechargeables are also great for the environment...