First post, light dithering, PD31 vs PD20 vs others

NimRock

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

First post from me so a little intro, I've have discovered flashlights via EDC and the EDC forums, and I am scared I might likes these toys even more than I like knives and I'm a materials engineer so I like steel a lot to begin with!!

I have always loved gadgets and so when I found out this LED technology was putting 80L lights on keychains I had to have one and I got a ITP AS EoS and I am just amazed at how often I used the thing.

So now I've just had a birthday :party: and I've got a little cash to spend on my self, and I'm thinking I'd enjoy another light more than a multitool at this point. But I'm a little torn on what to get, partly I can't decide which form factor to go for, I would like to cover them all eventually but I have to pick one for now, and partly every time I think I've researched a type of light enough I discover another product I didn't even know existed.

So I have the keyring light and that goes everywhere with me, and I'm trying to choose between a single CR123 cell type light that would also be easy to carry, or a bigger 18650 type light that I could carry but would fill a more beside the bed, in the car, only pick it up when I know I need it type role.

For the first situation I was looking at the PD20, and was only put off by them not being available here in the newer forms, only the R2 or the older XR-E models would be available without shipping it in from overseas. Then just yesterday I discovered the Lumapower Incendio V3 which looks really good to me. I like the forward clickie, and that it will run on rechargeables, the glow in the dark button, and that it is probably a bit brighter. I also like that it's not black a little. So question 1, what are your thoughts on those two lights, and are there any others I should consider?

(I am aware of the nitecore EX11, the Quark 123 lights, the HDS lights I wish I could afford, the Olight T10, and the Jetstream RRT-0 which is a little big but I still want one)

Secondly I have been consider instead getting something a touch bigger and more powerful. The prime contender for me seams to be the PD31, mostly because it is brighter than the Quark and other offerings I have seen, it will work on 18650s, and the Fenix build quality is high. I can still get one of those here, and the whole special edition thing is working on me a little. Also the PD30/31 (or the Quark) seam to be small enough to pocket if I needed to, but probably would be so large that I would only do so if I was pretty sure I'd be using the light.

So given that I already do have the Itp for every day carry, would I be better getting a new light that is a bit on the bigger side but offered more power, throw and functionality.

So I'm probably down to picking between the incendio V3+ and the PD31. Partly I won't be able to justify another light in the same form factor again soon so if I get a single CR123 now I can't save up for a HDS as well, or if I get a PD31 I can't eventually get an I don't know what? There seam to be more very high end offerings in the CR123 size.

Any feedback, or ideas I might not have considered would be most welcome, I don't get to buy toys very often so I'm hoping to get something I enjoy owning.

Thanks guys.