Copper wire in Surefire Alu body, possible issues ???

TheTana13

Newly Enlightened
I'm tied to my cot for past two days due to ankle twist and had a lot of time on hand for me, after a long time. I remember reading a post from someone in CPF about modding KX4 head and since I had KX4 from G2L FYL, I disassebled it (it's easier as KYL model had ring removable. Took the original LED emitter out and installed the only available drop in inside - M61WL... had to install thicker glass to achieve perfect fit once the ring was tightened back on. It looks SWEET. After I screw that mod head onto C2, no gap btw body and bezel exsit. However, I don't think that edge of the M61WL makes good connection with the inner body so I made ring out of only available stuff my friend could bring me AWG#14 copper wire. I made a ring and used it for a better contact, whole head need more force to tighten up all the way and it looks GREAT and works GREAT.

Now... I know that pure copper makes pure aluminum oxidize... does anyone have any experience how it will react with alu alloy... wouldn't like to get body ruined due to chemical reaction that I kind of thought I was aware of. As soon as I'm back into civilization, I'll look for alu wire but until then.

Also.. one more thing. There is a nice little gap that can be fitted with machined alu ring btw edge of module and edge of bezel, from the front, before rubber fitting gets installed... that would help with heat sinking a lot, I think. Maybe to that level that Moddoo Triple XPG could be installed (for you lucky guys who got yours). Mine seems to be lost in the mail system somewhere btw Oveready and my APO but... still hoping I would some day get it and try this setup also...

Good thing is there is no gridning of any kind to any part so everything can be returned to stock level or replaced with other drop-in and it allows faster bodies swap plus getting that annoying body/bezel gap gone forever.

If someone is interested, I should be able to be back to civilization in next 7-8 days and could try to post pictures of new achieved thing (also a small mod to C2 body I did few days earlier).