Exclusive - first look at the Inova X1!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, maybe not intended to be an Exclusive First Look, but in the everyday life of the Torch Reviews Site things like this don`t happen too often so please forgive me for milking it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-

With many thanks to Margaret Sanderson of Nectarine Limited, UK-based company who run about 103 web sites including http://oolights.co.uk , today I recieved the long awaited Inova X1. This isn`t intended to be a review, rather a first-impressions look. A full review will appear on the Torch Reviews Site hopefully within the next few weeks.

inovax1.jpg

Fit & Finish are top notch as I expected, going on the X5. I wonder if the finish is HA3? Could be. It came in Inova`s usual fancy looking packaging with a "try it" hole in the front, and Duracell AA battery pre-installed so it was ready to go right away. Here, size compared to the X5:

inovax1x5.jpg

...and a tatty CMG Infinity:

inovax1infinity.jpg

I was surprised at how bright it is. I`ll be the first to admit I`m skeptical about the practice of using a single 5mm LED and focussing it to produce a narrower spot to throw further. I guess the TurtleLite gave me a bad impression with its pinprick of white light that`s too dim to shine far and too narrow to use up close. But this one is nicely bright and not extremely narrow. It is quite narrow though:

inovax1beam.jpg

Closer detail of that beam. It does look rather like the Moon, but kind of blueish-white with a bright blue edge surrounding it. Probably a prismatic effect as a result of the lens shape.

inovax1beamclose.jpg

The camera smooths it out more than it is. It`s got minor swirls and the one side is a little dimmer than the rest, I guess the die in the LED isn`t prefectly centered and the rest is just down to surface imperfections in the moulding of the LED.

Brightness comparison next to an Arc AAA Premium Edition. The battery in the Arc isn`t brand new but is pretty fresh:

inovax1arcaaape.jpg

Though very bright, it has no side spill at all so is similar to the Docter Aspherilux light, but with a much smaller spot.

Here shown against my favorite "familiar" test target:

tolietinovax1.jpg

The packaging states it has a realistic 65-foot effective range. I would agree with that. This is a long-exposure shot of it shone at my shed, which must be more than 65 feet away from up here. Looks similar to how I see it with reasonably dark adapted sight. Maybe a little darker - should`ve used a lower F-stop setting....:

inovax1beamoutside.jpg

The glass lens has a classy, expensive looking Anti-reflective coating with a blueish tinge to it:

inovax1headclose.jpg

I`ve used it briefly to find my way round in here and think the spot is a little too narrow for my liking. The fact that there`s no side spill at all means things that shouldn`t be there can sneak up on you all too easilly without frantically swishing it side to side.

What its ideal uses would be, well I`m not sure. It`s very directional so could have covert uses. Red ones might be nice to use when astronoming - the light wouldn`t shine up and dazzle everyone, but it could be a bit bright overall. It doesn`t seem at all ideal for up-close work really, probably better at mid range illumination.

Electrical specs, well it uses just one AA cell and the current drain is about 130ma peak. The 5mm LED is sealed up in the end but could be getting 30-35mA? They say the burn time is up to 10 hours. I don`t know yet though if that`s flat-regulated or semi regulated like the Arc-AAA.

Overall I like it. The sharp-cutoff to the beam limits its usefulness and it is rather big compared to an Infinity Ultra (unfortunately I havn`t got one of those), but it is bright for a one-LED-er and the construction is first rate.

-

If you want to buy one, and you live in the UK, you can get yours at http://oolights.co.uk for a very reasonable £26.95 assuming they havn`t sold out yet! They only had limited quantities with no more expected until mid October. And yes, it does come with a belt holster like its bigger brother.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered one. I really need to open it up and see if theres room for a luxeon and some CR2's....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Oh crud...I got beaten to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
But I like the beam picture on your "favourite" test target - that white thing with water in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Somebody emailed me awhile back, stating the X1 had a 1.2 watt LS in it, but I didn't believe them. I see my disbelief was founded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you for the "first look" review.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought you`d like that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I should say, the distance between the big white porcelain thing and the flashlight was approximately 10 feet. I think it makes a good target since everyone has one and they`re all just about the same size so it gives a good idea of the spread. Unless you live in an old people`s home - I`ve seen some pretty big toliets in old peoples homes.

(Incase you`re wondering, I`m a fire alarm engineer and we do a lot of installation and servicing in care homes.)

-

The LED in the X1 is your everyday Nichia(?) white. Held up close to a surface at *just* the right distance, you can see the 2 bond wires and die shape projected. But only when 3 - 4 inches away.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it,
Gonna get me a red one and a white...for mods. Wonder if a turned down Madmax with a Luxeon would work well with the included optics? I am sure I am not the only one that is thinking about this... see who gets the mod done first.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
Somebody emailed me awhile back, stating the X1 had a 1.2 watt LS in it, but I didn't believe them. I see my disbelief was founded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like somebody did a 1 Watt Mod already.

Edit: Oops ... after reading the English translation it is actually a mod on an X5, but it is still pretty cool.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting! 5mm led on the X1! The finish looks impeccable!! It's a damn pity a 1w LS wasn't used /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Inova are classy looking lights! If James Bond was going to pull one from his tuxedo breast pocket, it'd be one of these.

jtice

Flashaholic
Great review !

I was afraid of it being TOO tight of a beam.
But, overall I like it, looks like it will throw well for such a small light.

I think this will be a good mate for my Arc AAA.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Just ordered one. I really need to open it up and see if theres room for a luxeon and some CR2's....

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If not CR2s, then a cell out of a CR-V3.

Dan

MY

Enlightened
I too am wondering what one would do with this light. As a single AA light, it is huge. The upcoming ARC AA will be half its size. The beam has no side spill so its use for most purposes is compromised. As a spot type light, it doesn't have enought lux. It looks cool but probably would sit in my drawer with other lights that are a curiosity rather than a EDC instrument.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pencil tight beam reminds me of the Brinkman 2AA single LED light (Rebel?) It is waaay to narrow to be of any use to me as Chris M. pointed out, you'd be frantically swishing it side to side if you want to see anything. May have some limited uses though, like peering into a tiny hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That tight beam could prove very useful, if a way could be found to squeeze a few more lumens ito that spot. Im dying to find out if that lens can be made to work with a HD luxeon.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I should think that repair techs will like this light. It will be good for looking into dark corners, underneath equipment, and tracing down wires in dark spaces! Why is so hard to read data plates without a flashlight? It looks to be a good replacement for the penlight.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I expect so. I just tried an old red-top one in my X1 but it didn`t light. On closer inspection the battery had its positive end dented in (it lives in that tatty Infinity up there) and wasn`t making contact. Don`t have any new ones here but they should work, and will either run longer or brighter, I havn`t yet determined if the X1 is flat-regulated or just voltage boosted. Plus have the advantage of that nice long shelf life, and no leaking ever.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
But they'll make the inside of your flashlight smell funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It'll get that sickly sweet "rotten honey" odour that Capt. Kirk smelled when that vapour creature was nearby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts