NC, VA, MD and DC members hurricane check in

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
If anyone needs or can give help to a nearby member during the hurricane, post the info.here. Make your specific plans for assistance via PM or e-mail. Someone might need a place to put their animals or any number of other things. I am in the western panhandle of FL. If you're headed my way and need some help let me know.

NC, VA, MD and DC members:
Where part of the state are you in?
What are your plans?
How is it going so far?
Do you need assistance?
Can you give assistance?

Good luck

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where part of the state are you in? Fairfax, VA
What are your plans? Stay at home.
How is it going so far? No school, so great.
Do you need assistance? Nope.
Can you give assistance? Nope.

Dan

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where part of the state are you in? Middle of Maryland.
What are your plans? Stay at home and hope I don't lose power.
How is it going so far? Alls' quiet -- Wednesday night.
Do you need assistance? Nope.
Can you give assistance? Nope.

Paul

P.S. A little later the answers will probably be more interesting.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
What part of the state are you in? East side of Catoctin Mountain at the Potomac River.
What are your plans? Wait and watch. On standby with other hams for emergency communications backup.
How is it going so far? Thursday morning-- 66 deg, cloudy slight breeze.
Do you need assistance? No.
Can you give assistance? On standby.

We don't get our real problem until two or three days after the storms pass. The old part of town (what is left of it) is on a slack pool just after the river passes through the mountians and tends to flood. The main street is about 25 to 30 feet above the river and we get floods up to 40 feet every five years or so. We are watching for this one. The State and Federal Gum'ment bought and razed about 75% of the buildings after two 39 foot floods in '96. Probably get the rest this time. (It'll have to get to 110 feet to get me.)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where part of the state are you in? Charlotte - West NC
What are your plans? The usual.
How is it going so far? Light Breeze - only 25-35 mph winds expected
Do you need assistance? Nope
Can you give assistance? Not really...

Chance of power outages is minimal... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
whiskypapa3 said:
What part of the state are you in? East side of Catoctin Mountain at the Potomac River.
...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, not too far from my wife's family - they are up on Mar Lu ridge outside Jefferson

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Where part of the state are you in? Raleigh area
What are your plans? Work til one or two o'clock, go home
How is it going so far? Heavy rain, winds gusting to 40 mph
Do you need assistance? No trouble yet
Can you give assistance? Better stay home with family

I'm expecting things to get a bit hairier as the day goes on. We're being told we'll see winds to maybe 60 mph around here before it all passes over this evening. Probably be power outages, too. All lights locked and loaded.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raleigh area here as well.
I plan to stay home most of the day, but for the next few hours go visit the New World Coffee House (10 mi. N)
Looks like I'll have to bring my book in a plastic bag, there's steady slow rain, but nothing that bad so far. The power's flicked twice, so it'll probably go out when we get the 50 mph gusts TWC predicts. I hope it'll be back on by Fri morning if so.
No assistance needed s'far.
I'll monitor the ham bands in case they need help.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just north of DC. Heavy rain and wind a few hours ago, but it's very calm here now, although I see on TV that south of DC and just north of where I am, in Baltimore, there's lots of wind and rain. I'm at a high elevation so flooding is not a problem, although I hear that the folks to the south in northern-central Virginia are having it tough.

I'm surprised I still have power. This place is usually one of the first to go. My fingers are crossed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hurricane, in Raleigh, didn't turn out to be much. We've had much worse thunderstorms. The clouds were fun to watch, though. I, perhaps foolishly, went out driving that day. Figured the car was just as much, or more, at risk from tree limbs in the parking lot as on the roads (esp. the big roads).

StuU

Enlightened
The eye just went over us. Radar says we're out of it here in the Shenandoah Valley. Wow. What a wimp. Just a little rain and some fairly tame gusty winds.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
After Isabel (Pics)

Charlotte NC was just on the western fringes of the storm. Nothing but sprinkles and a little wind. We got the real "show" after the storm passed.

Isabel's Sunset:

isabel_sunset.jpg

Isabel's Rainbow (look carefully - it's a double!):

isabel_rainbow.jpg

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: After Isabel (Pics)

Has anyone seen this pic? I don't know if it's Isabel, but looks menacing none the less.

Hope everyone that experiences the hurricane comes out unharmed. Being in the south I have been through several hurricanes and know what they can do!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: After Isabel (Pics)

Cool pic., I wouldn't want to be on that ship though..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Peter

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: After Isabel

My power returns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Only out 22 hrs. I never even got to change batteries.

Most used lights:
-15w Niterider Digital - lights up the whole room.
-Aurora - hand free, lights up everywhere I look.
-4AA Motion sensing light in the stairwell (from Target)- Ok, It turns on everytime I go up the stairs even when the power is on.
-Oil lamp - for ambiance
-Streamlight 7led: aimed at the ceiling in the bathroom
- Oh and of course the arc AAA that was hanging around my neck saw a lot of use.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been three days, and there are still communities around here without power -- quite a large number of huge trees fell. And in those communities, the traffic lights are off. There are now four-way stop signs at some very large and busy intersections. I don't know how they handle rush hour. Probably have to rely on our LEO friends.

Paul

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
After getting days off of school on Thursday and Friday, my school now doesn't have power. So no school on Monday for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
Lost power for 16 hours, lots of trash in the yard, no major damage.

Lights most used:
Streamlight Syclone
Harbor Freight 1 mil candle power spotlight ($10 on sale!)
Arc AAA LE

For next time: Got a headlamp on order from BrightGuy - holding lights in mouth causes drool.

Random observations: A light like the Syclone that can sit upright and tilt the head illuminate work is great - headlamp would perhaps be better. Traser Glowrings are the greatest for locating lights in total darkness. Nice to have a long throw light to look at the trees wave around and look to see what fell on the roof.