190 Euro for a surefire e1e??

Zman

Enlightened
Hi everyone, just got back from my honeymoon. Went to Spain and France, and of course while shopping with my new wife, I had to check for flashlights. While shopping in Cannes I saw a shop with flashlights and two way radios. The window price for a Gun metal Surefire E1e was 190 euro!! A two pack of Motorola talkabouts with charger base was like 600 Euro!! I realize Cannes is not the best place to look for bargains...but over 3 times the going US price for that flashlight...wow! One interesting observation regarding the flashlights in those two countries. It seems most of the places with a good flashlight selection sold Maglites. A shame a company with such global recognition won't step up and become a player with LED's..

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
HOLY CRAP!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif Cannes

Can you say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I paid £89 for my E2e from a UK dealer. I paid less than that for my M2 from a US source, even after shipping and taxes. Everything is so much cheaper in the states, its not even funny.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
well ... everything from the states is so much cheaper there ... should be normal. problem is that almost everything in flashlights come from there, they have a huge lead against the Old World.

and Cannes, well, ... you know ...

bernhard

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez-

Those prices are terrible! I was just talking to my brother tonight, moaning about how I need to go on a holiday. He was adamant, go to London! As a public service, I'm wondering if I brought over a spare E2e and a L4 or ARC LSH how would that be?

GregR

zorba

Enlightened
Same here, the Greek flashlight market doesnt know the word surefire and they sell lights such as the m#gs as if they were the dogs dangling bits...

Zman

Enlightened
After I saw those prices I was thinking the same thing. Should I have posted "Going to France, Who needs a reasonably priced flashlight?" and then helped out a couple CPF'ers?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zman-

My point exactly. Maybe we can hlep out our CPF friends.

kakster-

Yes, or even when I was a teen bringing Levis to my cousins in Canada.

GregR

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Best price for a Scorpion here is €80 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif , and €65 for a G2 is a real bargain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif
123s are €8 at the local department store!!!
Suddenly $180 plus postage for an Arc seems very reasonable... Any American CPFers planning a Dutch holiday?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
you Americans obviously do not know how happy you should be that nearly all the great flashlight stuff is made in the US ...
customs, margins, exchange rates .... those kill the fun in our countries ...
bernhard

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a reminder for any members outside the US, it's always worth checking out this thread before making a purchase.

You may find a bargain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EPguy

Newly Enlightened
We just finished up a Protective Security Detail in Brazil, the going price for a G2 was 143.00 USD!! No kidding, I asked the store owner about this(it was in fact a Cop Shop) and he said that they have such a huge import tax and delivery tax it just adds up.
My team has always made it a practice to gift some very cool items to the locals and drivers when they help us out or work a detail with us, generally Surefires or Spydercos. There are atleast 10 drivers in London that have E2e's, G2's or Scorpions. They even asked us to send them GagLites, which we do, they're good for the boot! We have given away numerous G2's and E2e's all over the world. So if you guys are coppers or drivers in foreign countries look for the Asian Protection guy, he may have a goodie for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
x-ray, of course we (in Europe) do use those wonderful dealers in this helpful thread, but nevertheless you have to pay for shipping and customs, and this is adding up!
of course, if you are lucky, the package slips through customs unnoticed even when marked correctly (at least in Germany), I don't know why. THEN you are a lucky flashaholic!
bernhard

P.S.: I would advise against treachery with the custom declaration, this might result in trouble for the vendors, and we would not want them to stop selling to us, won't we?

Zman

Enlightened
Mark-
I spent one night in Amsterdam on my way back! Too late this time...but I'll be sure to post on my next trip out of the country to try to help European flashaholics.