Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax--Life Expectancy?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The LED is presumably a "portable LED" with the 1K half life. The L4 drives the Luxeon at around 640 mA as I recall, so it is a bit under spec.

- Don

PS. SF forum? That's been gone for some time??!?!?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please do not discuss having a SureFire Forum here.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I beg your pardon; that one went right by me; what EVER are you talking about ?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CPF Posting Guidelines & Rules:
2. Surefire Forum
No, there will not be a Surefire Forum. Not unless someone from Surefire contacts the administration and requests it with the commitment of someone from Surefire to moderate the forum. Do not start another thread on this and do not ask about it again. Yes, this is a VERY sore subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shark

Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken if it fails Surefire will replace it or fix it. That would mean it should be around for a while.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else with info on this?? 50K hours would mean that maybe, maybe, my son will have to worry about changing the LED in the ole' L4 after he inherits it from me!

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just seen the TL-3 (Streamlight) with the 5 W white LED, advertised for 10K hrs of life. (on Meridian Tactical and others)

Why SF should have put a "portable LED" in my beloved L4? Lumileds announced "stable" white 5 watters for 2003 third quarter, but I think they were available to OEM sometime earlier.

Regards

Anthony

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
50k hours? Bummer. I'm hoping to have mine die in about a year so I can get it replaced when Z3T bins are common, hehe.

CM

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>Do not start another thread on this and do not ask about it again. Yes, this is a VERY sore subject.

Yep, that's our full-of-info FAQ alright. Long on complaints/threats, short on explanations. Like, it'd be so hard for a moderator to just ignore sore subjects... But, no SysOp is perfect so I guess I'll take what we can get.

Hey, not that I care, I can't afford SF anyway. Heh. Well, not if I keep sending $$ to EL and Inretech. I'll look forward to a "new improved" 5W when/if the 1000 hr. one in my Blaster IV ever craps out.

I think were I to get another 5W, the Streamlight 3x123 driven 5W would appeal more than the shorter runtime on the L4, but the size diff. would make it tough to decide. I sure wish they'd re-tool the L4 so it doesn't look like such an E2e with a frankenstein head, though.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I sure wish they'd re-tool the L4 so it doesn't look like such an E2e with a frankenstein head, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I think my L4 is purdy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
To each his own, of course. Personally, the SF that appeals to me most (in profile) is the A2. Perhaps because they can't seem to make enough of them, though, the price is insane. If only the L4 had 2 or 3 brightness levels it would replace the A2...and extend the life of its poor ol' LED while it was at it.

rlhess

Enlightened
I have ordered a KL-1 head since my KL-4 head on my L4 doesn't have a "volume control" That way, if I need less light for a longer time, I can just switch heads.

I wish they'd make a very tight focused version of the KL-4, though.

Cheers,

Richard