50,000 Lumen (OTF) 400w HID lantern feeler thread

missionaryman

Enlightened
As the title suggests this is a feeler thread to see if there is an interest big enough to make this a production reality.

I am proposing to develop and manufacture a hand held, rechargeable, variable brightness, water resistant HID lantern.

If this project sees the light of day the end result will be a pristine quality 100% Australian made designed, thoroughly tested, with on-board active thermal management, alloy bodied, HAIII finished ridiculously bright light presented in a hard case.

It will be hand focused, with a pencil beam that can be measured in Kilometres and a reinforcing spill beam that will have variable brightness setting.

Fit finish, materials used and technology applied will be of a very high standard.

The light will have proper run time and be rechargeable, it will stay adequately cool for the duration of its run time spare parts will be available and on going upgrades are a part of the design brief.

The people Ive partnered with are expert in the area of HID illumination, custom making bulbs, ballasts bases for longer than I knew HID existed.

We have run tests on a test mule host and have been extremely impressed. The test mule is only running the heart of the custom made light engine (i.e. no spill version) and is illuminating subjects over a kilometre away. Wearing one of the darkest available welding masks it was impossible to look into the beam without hurting your eyes.

I/we are trying to be vary careful with information as we don't want this to be cloned.

A large % of the manufacturing time is spent on processes for which we do not know of a robotic or automated method to be in existence, hence it is very labour intensive and draws on a very rare skill set to produce.

Pricing would be approximately $3500 - $4000 for a complete unit with case, batteries, charger and carry strap.

This is based on an initial production run of 25 units

Furthermore the light is being designed with future - proofing in mind for other lighting technology on the horizon to drop straight in.

NOTE: I am a working father of 4 very young children, I am extremely busy and will be likely to only log in and respond to questions once or possibly twice a week. I may not answer PM's on this subject due to my schedule, please post if you have questions and please be patient, at this stage I'm purely donating my time to an interest so my dedication may be somewhat lacking. If things get more serious I will adapt accordingly.

At this stage I probably can not give you much more detail about the product, all CAD renditions and technical data are being kept strictly under lock key.

This is really just feeler to see if this will be viable to invest in and get off the ground or if I should limit it to one for me and one for the designer or put it into production.

It's obviously a very expensive light and even though the numbers quoted with current HID technology are impressive, the numbers possible with Sodium Plasma (for which it is being designed to be fully compatible with) are simply staggering

magicmanchris

Newly Enlightened
Had to repost my interest in this HID build since the CPF was down. If your still looking into this count me in as very interested. MagicMan

missionaryman

Enlightened
Hi all, I think this might be dead now.
The guys who were going to do the actual manufacture of this have struck a massive deal with the Ice Road Trucker's and they're tied up for about 6 months. By then plasma will probably be entering the market and there wouldn't be much point investing in HID.
I'll re-engage the same people when plasma lights are becoming more mainstream and we know what we are up against in terms of heat & power requirements and emitter size/reflector size etc. (about 50% of the cost is the custom light and custom ballast in this project)
Another thing that's made me think this really isn't all that worthwhile is the amount of custom 500w+ HID builds I've seen on youtube using bulbs & ballasts from follow spots with battery & inverter set ups. I've seen 575w but you can go right up to 1200w with the same size ballast & bulb for over 90000 lumens. The benefit of these set ups is a single emitter meaning a better beam shape.

magicmanchris

Newly Enlightened
OK, keep me informed on other builds. Are portable plasma high output searchlights about to hit market within this year? Any info on what to expect?
MagicMan