Best UV light for counterfeit detection?

IcantC

Enlightened
Hey Guys,

Needed a light to detect counterfeit bills and I know the ARC UV has been a great light and love the small size. Is there anything better that is same size/price point as the ARC?

I have read some of the reviews for older shootouts for UV lights.

Thanks

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
Different manufacturers will use different wavelengths for their UV LEDs (or bulbs). I've seen everything from 365 to 405 nm recommended for counterfeit detection...you'll also see a wide range in the quality and price of the lights.

I've heard the Inova X5MT-WUVT is a decent light and is in the same size and price range as the Arc you mentioned. I can't personally vouch for the quality of the Arc or Inova but they're probably solid bets if you're looking for a UV (only) light in that price range.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Arc-AAA UV and it performs well for counterfeit detections.

I used to have the same dilemma when I was trying to choose my UV light a few months ago. But it finally came down to two things;

1) Battery type. I simply hate looking for button cells. Arc uses AAA which you can pretty much find everywhere, from convenience stores to gas stations.
2) Activation method. The switch on Photons consists of large, flat surface area of the light. If you have the thing tethered to your keychain and carry it in your pocket, there is some chance that you will activate the light by accident after bumping into something. Not with Arc's twisty. Call me paranoid, but every Photon-esque light that I've ever went though since I was a kid activated themselves at least several times, and by the time I found out the battery was already drained to the point of being useless.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the INOVA X5MT-WUVT and have been impressed with how much it will flouresce compared to typical UV lights and even the older version of the X5 UV that I also have.The X5 has the advantage of more output compared to what you would get from the ARC.The X5 is much larger than the ARC of course and uses 2 CR123s.If you decide on the X5 make sure you are getting the newer model that states a 365-405 wavelength in the specs.The older X5 is visibly brighter and may still work for your purpose but it has a higher/longer wavelength and doesn't flouresce as much.The older X5 UV was generally more expensive than what I see the X5MT-WUVT advertised at.Nite-Ize has moved all production of INOVA lights to China and they are no longer assembled in the U.S. so that may account for the price drop.The quality of my X5MT-WUVT is still very good and doesn't seem to have suffered since the change.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may not be that bright but the ARC AAA UV has an excellent choice of LED for currency dectection. The iNOVA on 2 CR 123s (older version*** good post above explaining the difference with the "new" version) is MUCH brighter and will work yet the ARC has a better light frequency. I also like the "pen light " UV LED I found at Elite LED. it runs on 2 AAAs and is more powerful than the ARC . The ARC on my keys goes everywhere with me and did spot an 'upscale" fake $100 bill at a carnival last Summer.
The bill had a "strip" embedded, yet upon further examination it showed up black and not orange under the UV LED. BatteryJunction offers some Sfire clone bodies 6P, along with a decent powerful LED drop in. That light ROCKS!

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
Check out Photonlight.com ..... see their UV light for $11.95. Cannot go wrong here.

bkumanski

Enlightened
I know this is the LED section, so I'm presuming you want an LED light. If so, stick with the lower wavelength UV leds. However, they are more expensive than the higher wavelength cheepies. If price is a concern, just get a small CFL black light. The CFLs are the right wavelength and are used almost exclusively in counterfeit detection devices, not LEDs. They are cheap (got mine for $10) and it runs on 4 AAs. Good luck!