Poll: Interested in an extension tube for Zebralight AA flashllights?

Cemoi

Enlightened
Would you like Zebralight to sell an extension tube for their AA flashlights (SC51xx), allowing to convert them to 2AA flashlights, hence increasing runtime and/or brightness?

mcfarlie6996

Newly Enlightened
Nobody ever commented on this and said yes? I'm amazed Zebralight doesn't already make an extension tube for their AA lights.

Swede74

Enlightened
I would like to see an extension tube, but it would probably only work if Zebralight also re-designed their circuitry to accommodate 2xAA. On their website they claim the operating voltage range of their 1xAA / 14500 lights is 0.7-4.2 V, but in reality (at least my SC52) interprets 2xAA as a depleted 14500 with a voltage below the 2.8 cutoff. I tried with a makeshift extension tube, and thought for a while that it would work, but unfortunately it didn't.

See this thread, post #46, #51, #52, #54, #57-59

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...EO-and-more!&p=4128728&viewfull=1#post4128728

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are primary lithium aa batteries with a starting voltage in the 3 volt range, I honestly haven't tried one but that'd answer your voltage concerns.

I honestly dont don't buy zebra lights for runtime, I buy them because they are compact, good UI and have good clips.
Unless the 2 aa batteries were side by side I wouldn't buy it

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three AA batteries would make more sense in a light like the SC52. That way, you would have the full voltage of Li-Ion. It may not be the best setup for EDC. But 3xAA in a row feels quite good in the hand for nighttime walks. So 3xAA would probably make more sense.

Swede74

Enlightened
Three AA batteries would make more sense in a light like the SC52

I want one! :crackup:

2lk4pkj.jpg

fnsooner

Enlightened
I am not particularly interested in an extension but I would buy one if available.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Bring out the lego!

I'd like a SC32/SC52/SC62 and similar H32/H52/H600 combo.
No extender but rather 3 different tubes and threads in the head instead of using a tail cap.
Then a removable diffuser to top it off -preferably you could attach the diffuser where the tail cap usually sit.

tandem

Enlightened
Not interested. I buy ZLs for compactness and power as well as well regulated run time on output levels other than max.

If I wanted longer regulated run time I'd pick up my 2x18650 SureFire lego with a Malkoff up front. Personally I think a longer tube benefits from the increased diameter too, being not only more comfortable but more likely to survive abuse.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Not interested. I buy ZLs for compactness and power as well as well regulated run time on output levels other than max.

I don't follow your logic - my suggestion wouldn't be any less compact than the SC32, SC52 or SC62.
No extension tubes, just tubes.

Eddiekneejerk

Newly Enlightened
Bring out the lego!

I'd like a SC32/SC52/SC62 and similar H32/H52/H600 combo.
No extender but rather 3 different tubes and threads in the head instead of using a tail cap.
Then a removable diffuser to top it off -preferably you could attach the diffuser where the tail cap usually sit.

I love this idea! Gimme!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like that possibility. Can be quite practical for traveling backpack, size or power on commonly found batteries, I love that idea but I also doubt the circuit can handle well the voltage monitoring.

tandem

Enlightened
I don't follow your logic - my suggestion wouldn't be any less compact than the SC32, SC52 or SC62.
No extension tubes, just tubes.

I'm responding to the original post (2xAA extension tube) and in particular to the ungainly looking 2xAA Zebralight image. I don't see longer lights being in the traditional Zebralight "smaller is better" realm.

Your idea makes more sense to me personally because it matches what many of us do... instead of opting for longer 2xAA lights, many of us opt for slightly thicker in diameter 3.7V lithium ion powered lights.

For the ultimate in adaptability it'd be neat to see ZL consider an ambidextrous (power-wise) "lego" light series provided a) Zebralight's well regarded regulation isn't compromised by being all things to all voltages and b) one is happy with the diameter trade off (sizing for 18mm cells penalizes those who like smaller AA lights).

On the other hand... I don't need to wait for this. With SureFire + Malkoff (and some Nailbender and other P60 light modules) lego I have the sort of power flexibility envisioned. For the most part I run those lights on lithium ion rechargeables but it's nice to know in an extended emergency I can dig into my huge box of charged Eneloops too.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
What I'd rather have is an updated version of their SC80 light capable of taking either AA/14500 or CR123/RCR123 cells. :(

Phoebus

Newly Enlightened
The main reason I got my Zebralight SC52 L2 was because of it's small pocket-friendly size, and I'm more than happy with it's performance, so.... No. Not really interested in an extension tube.