Do LEDs make your eyes feel different?

NewsFlash

Enlightened
This may be way off, but does anyone else here seem to sense their eyes "feel" different during or after using LEDs, such as using a KL1? What I am talking about is like getting a little bit of that "sandy" sensation like after momentarily seeing a welding arc.

Any one else experience this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
probably because of the relatively large amounts of near UV light in white leds.
kinda like spending too much time on the water at the lake...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

-Jason

snuffy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
probably because of the relatively large amounts of near UV light in white leds.-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you hit the nail on the head Jason./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif That's exactly how my eyes feel after using my Inretech 20 UV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect it's not due to UV, there is none. Check out the spectrum in the specs, zip shorter than about 425 nm (otherwise Vf for white would be as high as it is for UV).

I guess I've never experienced this, but could it be perhaps due to glare? Or maybe poor response to the light (eye too wide open)?

Doug Owen

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that the white LS's use a higer intensity blue light that is converted to "white" through the phosphors...not exactly "UV," but a narrow wavelength.

I can use a white LS to charge my glowpowder nearly as quickly as my new *donated* UV light, but that's not exactly a scientific test now, is it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason

carbonsparky

Enlightened
Most white leds use blue leds along with a yellow phosphor. The yellow combined with the blue creates a pseudo white light. It is not a true white because it does not contain any red light. These Leds will always look ether a little blue or green in tint, depending on the balance of the yellow (phosphor) and the blue (led) output.
The blue from leds can energize phosphors much like UV but they do not produce UV. Unlike more conventional light sources, leds produce a very narrow wavelength output (one color). If the output of a led was UV you could not see it,conventional UV lights can be seen because they usually produce more than UV.

There has been some discussion in past posts on this forum as to the dangers of blue light. Yours eyes are much more sensitive to blue compared to the other end of the spectrum.
I have read that the blue light in sunlight causes our eyes to age more than the other colors and could cause some loss of eyesight over time. I don't think blue leds are bad, but it may not be a good idea to stare into them.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not noticed anything. If anything my eyes are relieved when looking at white even light rather than splotchy yellow hotspots... Maybe I'm not squninting as much?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
when using a cyan 5W torch for prolomged time my head begins to ache and I am beginning to feel uncomfortable. don't know why.
when back in normal room light, everything looks like a yellowish-red glare for a few minutes.
seems to be the built-in color correction of the human brain or eye, and might cause the funny feelings.
bernhard

mindcrime

Newly Enlightened
Man I have noticed that too. Everytime I stare into my LSH-P, my eyes have trouble focusing on much of anything for quite awhile. My head hurts a little too.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2¢ - Blue LEDs really bother my eyes as do UV LEDs. Just the reflected light is very irritating and my eyes bug me for about 10 minutes after even short exposure. White LEDs don't bother me a bit.

catch228

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mindcrime said:
Man I have noticed that too. Everytime I stare into my LSH-P, my eyes have trouble focusing on much of anything for quite awhile. My head hurts a little too.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I did that with my L4 when I first got it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just couldn't help myself, looked straight at the led and pressed the button. The white spot lasted for about fifteen minutes. Not to bright (me not the light).

mindcrime

Newly Enlightened
Name has EVERYTHING to do with Queensryche. Operation: Mindcrime is still the coolest CD I have ever heard, and heard, and heard...

But I like all of their stuff. Well, Hear in the Now Frontier is iffy. But bad QR is still better than most anything else.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue LEDs bother my eyes BIG TIME. Whether it's the small blue LED in my Logitech desktop PC speakers 3' away or the large blue LED 30' away in a speaker monitor at church. Feels like they are blinding me. I keep the one in the Logitechs covered with a strip of paper.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernhard I can with help that problem. All I have to do is send you my mailing address, you can take care of the rest from there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe some people are more sensitive to blue light than others??
RonM wow, that must suck! Is it only when you are in line with the LED, or from the sides too? LED's now a days seem to have a narrow angle that is quite intense when viewing directly on. I had Blue & Orange radioshack LED's a long time ago made into a switch box on my dash that shined right into my eyes, but I had them resistored down a lot, so they looked neat staring right into the die. Didn't bother me a bit.. but then again they were resistored down..