Maratac Extreme AAA problem

gorn

Enlightened
I bought a Maratac extreme AAA a few weeks ago. I like the light and the tail switch. The light had been sitting for about a week when I decided to use it. It was dead as a doornail. I had put a freshly charged eneloop in it. I had convinced myself that I had left it on low by accident.

I put another freshly charged eneloop in the light. It worked fine. A couple of days passed and it was still working as it should. Two more days go by and it is again dead. I know for a fact that I did not leave it on low this time. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Yup, me too. I received a brand new one and got less than a week on a freshly-charged Eneloop WITHOUT ANY USE! I will be returning mine.

juanc723

Newly Enlightened
Maratac Extreme AAA issues?

do you own a maratac extreme aaa? is your light discharging the batteries?

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Re: Maratac Extreme AAA issues?

It sure is. I got less than a week out of a fresh battery with NO USE.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
It's all parasitic drain. I don't want to have to unscrew the bottom of a tactical light. I feel that defeats the purpose.

c southers

Newly Enlightened
cc told me i could return the light or give it 1/4 turn to keep the bat good

gorn

Enlightened
I returned my light to CountyComm at their direction. I was told the lights were out of stock but they would ship me a new one as soon as the new batch arrived. They said they had not heard of any other drain problems. About a week and a half after I Sent the light back I got a paypal refund for the light without explanation. I guess they won't be selling these anymore.

My Maratac AAA is about 15 months old. No drain problems noted. Still using my original Energizer primary lithium cell. (Obviously, I don't use this light on a dialy basis...it's more of an emergency backup for me.)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm curious to know way they're not selling the light anymore. Perhaps it has something to do with this issue.

gorn

Enlightened
My Maratac AAA is about 15 months old. No drain problems noted. Still using my original Energizer primary lithium cell. (Obviously, I don't use this light on a dialy basis...it's more of an emergency backup for me.)

Is your light the AAA extreme? I didn't think they were sold that long ago. I have several of the regular AAA's that are that old but not the AAA extreme.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

Any updated information on the "AAA" Extreme ? I see CC is still out of stock. I wonder if the "parasitic" issue has been addressed/corrected ? The AAA Extreme looks to be a nice little light otherwise. Oooh, is parasitic drain an issue with the SS "AAA" flashlights ? Thanks.

SixCats!

Rexlion

Enlightened
Hi all,

Any updated information on the "AAA" Extreme ? I see CC is still out of stock. I wonder if the "parasitic" issue has been addressed/corrected ? The AAA Extreme looks to be a nice little light otherwise. Oooh, is parasitic drain an issue with the SS "AAA" flashlights ? Thanks.

SixCats!
I visited CountyComm's website yesterday and the Extreme AAA appears to be back in stock. I wrote and asked about the cell drain issue, and received a response: "The new lights don't have the parasitic drain problem." This is good news. [Edit:] I have ordered one.

Last edited:

CujoNX

Newly Enlightened
awesome means I'm putting my order in too, I've been looking this problem up for some time almost lead my away

Rexlion

Enlightened
I received the Extreme AAA on Wednesday, so that evening I popped in a rechargeable AAA that measured 1.445v fresh off the charger. Tonight (Friday) the light was activated for just a second, then the cell was measured at 1.386v. I will continue to monitor and will see what the reading is in a few more days.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I received the Extreme AAA on Wednesday, so that evening I popped in a rechargeable AAA that measured 1.445v fresh off the charger. Tonight (Friday) the light was activated for just a second, then the cell was measured at 1.386v. I will continue to monitor and will see what the reading is in a few more days.

To improve your test you could also test the same battery (after topping it up on your charger) out of the light to see what the "base line" voltage drop is - IIRC freshly charged NiMh batteries will drop in voltage even when not being used.

Rexlion

Enlightened
After 5 days this (EnergyOn LSD) rechargeable read 1.370 volts. After 8 days it's at 1.362v. Looks pretty good for the Extreme, it does not seem to be draining the cell. Or if it is, the drain is pretty small.

Good idea about getting a baseline, although the fact that the light has been activated briefly a time or two will corrupt the results somewhat. I was thinking maybe I should repeat with an alkaline cell, and try to take care not to activate the light.