X10 or TK35?

srfreddy

Enlightened
Im considering either the 4Sevens Maelstrom X10, and the TK35, as my next big light. I can wait for the X10, Im gonna be ordering the masterpiece pro 1+L2p from solarforce-sales, and the thrunite xml dropin, plus a bunch of other accessories from lighthound. The cost of the 4sevens charger is no matter to me, Im going to be getting it either way.

X10 advantages:

Shorter

Skinnier

Cheaper (I'm assuming about 100$ cost), but not after batteries.

Lighter

Only uses one battery

No plastic tailcap

IMO, nice looking, good form factor

I suppose it can also run a 18650.

Floodier?

TK-35 advantages:

More runtime

More modes, true low

Easier UI

30% more light output

Flat look

Throwier?

Some help as to which one I should choose? And I'm not getting both. :nana::broke:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at both too. There's the throw vs. spill difference as well as the UI differences. But beyond those things, the S12 appeals to me more because it is significantly shorter. Since both batteries are the same length (18650 vs 26650) I don't understand why the TK35 is 0.8 inches longer than the S12 (5.6" vs 6.4"). That's a huge difference to me. If the TK35 was the same length as the S12, then its rectangular more modern look would appeal to me more but as it is now, the shorter S12 seems the way to go.

And in standard CPF tradition, and because I prefer more power rather than less, and since the X10 is running at about half the power of the S12 (3 Amps vs 5.5 Amps), I will prefer the S12 over the X10.

Since the S12 has a huge power advantage over the X10, I expect both to have equal throw but the S12 will have more spill and brighter spill and larger and wider hot spot. I am a bit disappointed with the significantly lower power rating of the X10.

I am also hoping that the S12 will eventually come out with a digital clicky that can handle the high power rather than the momentary tailswitch. If I recall, there was a custom digital clicky being sold here that used a separate small coin battery that could handle the high amp rating of those hot-rod high power triple/quad LED P60 drop-ins. I think 4Sevens already has something similar with their new digital pressure switch but i'm not sure.

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
The S12 has a massive emmiting surface, so I personally think that the X10 will throw further. The X10 will have a flatter output curve for sure. The TK35 is long because of the big reflector, the big head circuitry, and big switch.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the X10 does throw further. If the X10 puts out the same beam as the TK35, that would be great.

Also, just heard about another rattling TK35 mode switch on this forum although it doesn't affect function.

BTW, did you see the photo somewhere here with the S12 and the TK35 side by side? That one pic really emphasized the size difference for me.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I hope the X10 does throw further. If the X10 puts out the same beam as the TK35, that would be great.

Also, just heard about another rattling TK35 mode switch on this forum although it doesn't affect function.

BTW, did you see the photo somewhere here with the S12 and the TK35 side by side? That one pic really emphasized the size difference for me.
I think I saw it on the marketplace.....

Latest posts