KL4 running 1 cr123 vs 2 cr123???

oldeng95

Enlightened
how much brighter is the kl4 when u switch from running just one 123 to 2 123s??????????????

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

oldeng95,

There's a huge difference in brightness! I don't have the lumen rating for the TW4, but the L4 is rated at 67 lumens for 65 minutes! I hope this helps!

Dan

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

Excellent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You should be doing great!

Dan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
oldeng95 said:
I just bought a mclux 2 cell shaft for my kl4
will that combo compare w/ the L4???

[/ QUOTE ]
Should be exactly the same, both in brightness and battery life.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
The output should be identical to L4.

The package might even be better than L4 ... The McLux battery pack seems to disapate the heat a little better and the Kroll switch is more consistent than the the Z57.

If you Mod the switch slightly you can get the light to sit on it's base and work in candle mode.

Edit: Plus it just looks cool [at the expense of being slightly larger in size].

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
the Kroll switch is more consistent than the the Z57.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh! The Z57 is that unreliable? I like the kroll, but I wouldn't trust it for any kind of "must work" situation.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
Ugh! The Z57 is that unreliable? I like the kroll, but I wouldn't trust it for any kind of "must work" situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Unreliable" may be a bit harsh on the Z57, I meant inconsistent in that some Z57's are very smooth but some require extraordinary effort to lock into the "on" position. I have not had a Z57 that did not work at all.

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an E1e with a KL4 head from Dan at Tactical Warehouse. (TW4) Being that he also offered a two battery L4 "tube", I got that too. I decided to run the E1e on one lithium until I noticed the battery getting weak. I realize that others have posted a shorter run-time, but mine never did show signs of getting weak. So, I installed the two-battery set-up and two fresh SF batteries out of pure curiosity. I first went into my darkened bedroom and turned the end cap. The opposite wall suddenly had an orange sized hot spot and enough "spill" to light up the WHOLE wall. Amazed, I took it outside where it lit up the very top of the tall trees in my back yard. (I've got a pet Owl out there who doesn't mind a light that's shined on him.) My personal L4 is incredibly bright. It lit my Owl up better than a two D cell Mag.

Will

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How bright the KL4 will be on 1 cell vs. 2 cells depends, as I understand it, on the particular KL4 being tested. Results vary.

I did some lux tests on the head I have with my LM 631 meter. The units of measurement are relative. For 2 cells, I measured 74 units. When I used only one cell, the level started off at 38, fell to 28 in 3 minutes, rose to 31 until 27 minutes and then slowly fell to 25 at one hour and 18 at two hours.

Using one cell there was no regulation. The light intensity fell, plateaued, and then resumed the fall. It's a pseudo regulation which is caused, I think, by battery voltage increasing as the battery warms up. In summary, with one cell the light intensity starts off at about half and stays above one-third for an hour.

Paul