Wet Behind the ears . . .

Z

z_Jim Owen

Hello Everyone! :wave:

This is my first post on CPF. What an awesome forum! I've been lurking around for a few weeks. There is a ton of good info on here. I had no idea there was such a great resource for flashlight enthusiast out there. I've had a thing for flashlights ever since I was a kid. I lost interest in it years ago. :( However, my Dad, of all people, bought himself a Streamlight Super Tac. When he turned it on . . . it flipped a switch in my head. I couldn't believe the throw that little **** had. :huh: It was eating at me, so I decided to find a light that I could use. At the time, I was putting insulation in my floor of my house and all I had was a Streamlight headlamp. I don't remember the model, but it has a INCA bulb in the center and three white LEDs in the top of the reflector. Three mode switch. I've had it for three or four years now. Good little light, but not enough. :shakehead I jumped on Ebay and found a cheapo UltraFire C1. It has the Cree XP-G R5. 5 modes on this one. If I had to do it again . . . I would have stayed with the 3 mode and probably went with a SolarForce L2M. :thumbsup: Of course, when I recieved it in the mail, I had to completely disassemble it! Isn't that part of the fun? :D The threads were not machined out very well. Quick and dirty setup . . . but it is good to go now. I like the flashlight. The coating on it is thin! Scratches really easy. But . . . it got me thinking about my poor little under powered Maglite. I rarely ever used it because, well, factory bulbs suck!:eek:oo: That is when I found CPF. After reading through hundreds of threads . . . I opted to go for the gusto. Bet big win big right? I bought a Malkoff 2D drop in and an UCL. :clap::wow: What a difference. And so simple to upgrade. You guys are absolutely right about the Malkoff drop ins. I showed my dad the throw on that last night and he went right in the house and grabbed his Super Tac. :nana: It was a good time. So, I extend my gratitude and appreciation to all of the folks here that share their expertise and many thanks to Mr. Malkoff for his top of the line products.

I do have one question that I'm not 100% on yet. I want to replace the reflector in the Maglite 2D. I originally wanted a thrower and I'm satisfied with what it can do now! I have been reading about the M2 Camless metal reflectors and I want one. I'm just not certain which one to go with. What do you guys recommend for a reflector that is going to give me the best performance down range. I'm not worried about artifacts in the light so much as I want the reflector to focus the spot centered and even. I'm using this outdoors. It is a waste of sheer power to use a flashlight like this indoors now, other than the fact it is like walking around with a lamp in your hand. :thumbsup: I was leaning towards the M2 SMO on the Sandwiche Shoppe website. Any suggestions? I'm all ears.

Thank you again. :thumbsup: