Changing Times

Z

z_jskorp

Until about 10 years ago, flashlights were basically a steel tube, 1-2 AA, C, or D cells, an incandescent bulb, a reflector, and a side-mounted on-off switch. Battery and lamp life were short, reiability so-so, and light output fair. This changed in the 1980s with the Mag-lites which, due to multiple batteries and halogen lamps, were brighter (and also cooler looking) with the anodized aluminum construction. The multiple D-cell ML are still the standard for law enforcement. Then came Surefire which started making adaptations of its weapon lights. The Mil-spec type III anodizing, knurling, white lettering, and black or gray color are all derived from their original use, and still dominate the industry. These lights were bright, boasting 80-500 lumens, and also expensive. I put together a 9P host with an A19 adaptor, KT2 reflector assembly, 4 CR123, and M60 bulb to get an approximation of the M3 with a 225 lumen output, considered very bright for the early 2000s.

In the interim I purchased the Fenix L1P, which set the stage for high-quality, high-output LED lights manufactured in China. The CR123-powered P1D with its Cree is one of my favorites due to its small size and high output. Since then, SF look-alikes with black or gray Mil-spec type III anodizing, good machining, high-output LEDs, and now high-capacity Li++ batteries, costing $100 are the norm. The market seems flooded with these inexpensive but well-made lights. Out of curiosity, I purchased 2 18650 powered lights: the UltraFire WF-502B and the MGLITE X-Thrower. The UF is about the size of my SF E2E but costs $16 and has nearly 4X the light output with its single 18650 and Cree Q5. Its throw is superior to my SF 12P/KT2/M60 hybrid with superior beam color. Simply amazing! The MGL was about $65 from Shining Beam (wonderful vendor) with an SST-50 and 800 lumens, unheard of a few years ago. This must be one of the better sub $100 lights, although there is plenty of competition. It is only when you get into the stratosphere of LEDs with the Olight SR9x or the JB RRT-3 and equivalent offerings from SunwayLED, EagleTec, and others that you get superior construction, output, throw, adjustability, and beamshape, though at 5x -6x the price.

The LED is now approaching its theoretic efficiency limit, the batteries now lightweight and powerful, and long-lasting (4x the capacity and half the size of the Brinkmann Ni-Cd from about 2002). I can't wait to see what the next decade brings.

Latest posts