Need help with AAA light selection

Z

z_Cyclone82

Hi, I discovered this forum last year and was really interested in getting some of these new type LED torches as I've never had any before. My previous best was a Maglite solitare, a 2 x AA Arlec 'Mylite' a big 3 x D cell which I also think was an Arlec plus a handfull of those really cheap nasty multi 5mm led types that just do not last at all which I know are not that good at all compared to what's out there now so i think im in for a surprise and am quite excited about getting these modern LED types. I am a lighting fanatic in general, in particular car/motorcycle lights and party lights such as strobes, lasers etc. I am mainly here looking for some EDC lights first up and my first step is getting some key chain type AAA lights.

I usaully try and do all my own research and only join up to these sorts of forums if i really have to. I tried to do a bit of research on here and at another site but its kinda just too overwhelming and a little confusing at time and I have already spent hours reading. Like everything there is just far too many options out there to weed your way through so i thought i would be better off seeking opions from you guys who have been in my position before and and now already know whats good. Like most things i like to buy i generally prefer to buy top of the range stuff and are not afraid to spend that extra to get decent quality stuff. I am so over buying cheap stuff. I dont really want to end up buying a tonne of different lights, i just want a one or 2 decent ones in each category im shopping for. Looking around on a a lot of forums (not just lighting forums) Fenix and 4sevens seem quite popular but at the same time i dont want to be blinded by hype.

What I'm after is a good quality high output single LED key chain light with different modes preferably, PLUS a decent high quality single AAA plain 5mm or 3mm type (lower output, longer runtime) key chain LED light.

I was just about ready to jump in and buy a 4Sevens Preon Revo and a Fenix E01 until I heard that you have to loosen the bezel to turn off the lights. When I read that, well that was a bit of a let down as I had read people having lost the bezels and have to resort to Teflon tape and other mods to avoid the bezels falling off. Now is this really such a bad thing or am I too worried??? They seem like popular lights so maybe the drawback of the bezel coming of is not too bad? Wouldn't there be decent o-ring seals to stop the bezels coming off? This is the only thing that has really halted me from making a purchase but now that i think about it maybe i should also consider a few other options.

Are there any better options that turn off with tightening the bezels or use a button to turn on/off?

Are there any better options out there than the 4sevens preon revo?

I would say I would lean slightly towards longer runtime than output because at night I will also plan to have a larger light on my belt/in pocket but obviously higher output is good as long as the run time is not ultra low. I also would prefer to be able to use lithium AAA if possible, if not than at least rechargeable AAA

Perhaps you guys could suggest some of the top/most popular AAA lights in the screw bezel and button types, maybe the top 5 or something?

For the low power 5mm/3mm type LED AAA light I was looking at getting a Fenix E01, but again I believe these are off with the bezel loosened which has be worried and needing to ask questions first.

Another option i thought of for a low powered LED light is a Maglite solitare with a LED conversion from ebay or where ever as they retain the tighten to turn off option I believe. Has anyone tried this mod? Basically I want a long life quality LED AAA light I can rely on as a backup so what are the best options in that category?

Well I think that's about all for now. I will be after some larger AA/CR123 type lights and possibly some smaller than AAA keychain lights but my priority now is the keychain AAA types first.

Thanks

Latest posts