Baby Pins are SOLD OUT...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
*Update 10-20-03: Today the postal carrier came and went -- leaving a HUUUUUUGE box of stuff that was all being held at the post office for us during our trip, but after sorting through the contents it contained nothing I needed to complete this BP run. Dang.

Did get a bunch of interesting stuff for future projects though, but if I told I'd have to blind everybody, not to mention hide out from a couple of mod partners afterwards.

Oh well, it has been my experience in the past that sometimes there are actually two HUUUUUUUUGE boxes and they can't or won't bring it all out at one time. Seeing the size of the little postal mini-vantrucks they use here, I don't blame'em.

We'll see tomorrow...thanks for your continued patience...

Remember that little 5W light with the big head? Yeah, mebbe a little too big, but the output in such a small package running on just a single CR123 was too intriguing to shelve, so until my search for an example of the new Fraen Low Profile optic bears fruit, I decided to wrap some SAT (no, this isn't what you college students might think, it stands for Self Amalgamating Tape) around the body threads -- and screwing on perfectly like it was made for it, I used my "Legend LX On A Diet" head that was so elegantly trimmed down by our very own CPF'er Matt the Machinist.

Here it is standing on its own (one) foot next to the only two regular production 5W lights in existence today, the Streamlight TL-3 and SureFire L4:

fb0eb41d.jpg

A look down the business end of these lights:

fb0eb419.jpg

Here are comparison beamshots of the lights in the same order:

fb0eb41e.jpg

As you can see, the little-bighead Baby Pin was obviously brighter by a good margin. And this is using just one CR123, against two lithiums in the SureFire and three in the Streamlight.

And finally, on this night the light meter said:

fb0eb421.jpg

The circuit used in this particular Baby Pin was the new-style BadBoy 750, courtesy of dat2zip (Thanks, Wayne!).

The search for a brighter yet smaller head/optic combination for the Baby Pin continues, but we are indeed getting closer...hmmm, wonder how the head would look anodized black?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Shootout -- Baby Pin vs L4 & TL-3

Man, that baby pin with the 'big head' can pack some punch!!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey how come you're up, Howie? What time is it over there?

Thanks for posting! (I'm going to sleep now, it is 1:38 a.m. here!!!)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is 1044pm Thursday right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Nice, Charlie,

Larry

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Cool.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

So Howie, Oz is 18 hours ahead of us?

Thanks Larry and Wayne...

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Charlie, will you kill me if I said: "keep the head as small as possible!"?
If yes, I will not say it ....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernie

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
So Howie, Oz is 18 hours ahead of us?

Thanks Larry and Wayne...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am GMT+1000. We are currently 20 hours ahead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif of you

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
Charlie, will you kill me if I said: "keep the head as small as possible!"?
If yes, I will not say it ....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernie

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie,

Actually this is just a test mule, the final platform I would like to use is another 1x123 light, very well made, with just about every part on it threaded and screwed on so that tolerances and spacing between critical components such as Luxeon-to-reflector gap for optimal focusing, etc., can be adjusted in the final assembly. If a smaller optic is found that approximates the better outputs I have seen here, then the head will indeed be kept small. Perhaps even Ziggy-The-Pinhead small...the light is John Crighton's most excellent find, the Fox single 123 xenon flashlight.

Howie, Looks like I better set my alarm clock then if I am to have any successful dealings with you...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]

Howie, Looks like I better set my alarm clock then if I am to have any successful dealings with you...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 6 wall clocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zackhugh

Enlightened

Charlie,

I was waiting till you got further along in development before commenting, but I must say that it's kinda cool to see the evolution of your design (and the shrinking of the head size, IMO).

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Howie,

I've seen that -- at the airport!

Steve,

Thanks, wait'll the Fraen gets here...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charlie,

I DONT REALLY KNOW . . .

IT's JUST TOO BRIGHT AND TOO SMALL FOR ME!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Wonder what the run time is on 1, 2, and 3 batteries?

Very Nice Charlie, and let me be the first to say . . . .

PAYPAL SENT!!!

Just think, you throw this in your pocket when you are taking a walk at 4-5 pm, and don't know if you will be back before dark, or put a 3 pack on, when you are taking a 2 hour hike at midnight.

Either way, you know you have one of the brightest lights available with you!

It would also be nice, with the 1 battery pack, when walking at night and just wanting a gentle light, you bring something else, (Like an LGI) but this is your backup for when you need a big light.

This could be the ultimate light!

I would be happy with a Pelican host, for the 2 and 3 battery packs!

As much as I love the clickie, a twisty would be perfect for pocket carry for a 1 battery pack.

MEEEE LIKKKEEEEE!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Baby Pin 2 -- Final Configuration

Hey Bruce,

So you liked that? Then please take a look at this:

Some kind hearted CPF'er heard of my plight looking for a Fraen Low Profile (FLP) optic and sent me one out of the blue, just received it this afternoon. Not one to sit around wondering what to do with it, I immediately set up another shootout.

Here's the competition (our soon-to-be-named champ is second from the right):

fb0b3ce8.jpg

The light is the Fox Outdoor Xenon Tactical Flashlight, which turns out to be a great discovery by CPFe'r jcciv, Very mod friendly (and so is the light).

Here are the one-on-one beamshots with the Baby Pin on the right. First up, the Arc LSH-P:

fb0b3cee.jpg

Vs. the SF KL1:

fb0b3cea.jpg

Vs. the SF L1:

fb0b3ce9.jpg

And finally, vs. its own brethren, the original HF light-based Baby Pin with the big LX head and vaunted 30mm optics -- and keep in mind this light is using a 5 watt Luxeon that makes 823 lux, which handily BEAT both the SF L4 (two CR123s) and the SL TL-3 (three CR123s):

fb0b3ced.jpg

And on this day the lux meter said:

fb0b3cf0.jpg

Hmmm, over ONE THOUSAND LUX at one meter, all from a tiny single-cell light that could be easily made to disappear in my smallish hands:

fb0b3ceb.jpg

Here's what the Fraen looks like next to an NX-05:

fb0b3ce5.jpg

fb0b3ce7.jpg

fb0b3ce3.jpg

At this time I have enough parts on hand to make five more of these.

Introducing -- The Baby Pin (I wonder if anybody can guess what my new EDC will be now?).

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Baby Pin 2 -- Final Configuration

Excellent work Charlie!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
This final version definitely has my attention.
Pat

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paypal sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Such a powerhouse from such a small unit! What is the current the circuit is pumping out the 5w Mr B?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Just a comment on the "Fraen-05:" It's kind of hard to really see from the pics, but the Fraen has a concave front face with a "hole" in the middle. At thew bottom of the "hole" is a male ball lens. The LS side also has a hole with a male ball lens like the NX-05. I turned one down to fit in the CR2 "program," and the results have not been all that good with 1W HDs. I suspect they will need to be spaced-out a little for optimum results. The "word" seems to be that they may be the best compromise for a small diameter 5W option. Looking fwd to checking that out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .
(Edited- front face is concave, not convex /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif )
Larry

zackhugh

Enlightened

Yikes, you weren't kidding when you said "wait till the Fraen gets here." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif