Favorite Mod/homebrew platforms

charliek

Enlightened
Other than using other flashlights as a base for a mod-
what are other good items to build an LED flashlight in?

No, I don't have access to a CNC...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theres someone here who made a 200 lumen light from a butternut squash. No CNC required, just a sharp knife and spoon to scoop out the insides.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Die-case aluminium project boxes are nice - strong, good shape, and serve as a good heat sink for luxeons.

here are some examples that I've done in said boxes:

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~evan9162/uglybox/

bl1.jpg

bl2.jpg

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohh,

That box light is very techy looking. I especially like the internal heat sinking. I am fond of plumbing for modding. You can choose copper, black iron or galvanized steel as the material, find piping to fit everything from AAs to Ds and all sorts of connectors, reducers and angles to play with. I am working on "The Junkyard Dog" mod and will be posting that soon.

I'm the guy who made the light from a butternut squash. I've also used cardboard tubes and yogurt bottles in my "ghetto" mods.

As for traditional commercial lights as mod-fodder, you can't beat the Mags. Love 'em or hate'm, they sure do hack up well.

Wilkey

charliek

Enlightened
I have a few homebrews here- I'd like to post them, nothing that would really *impress* anyone, but I'd like to share them just the same.

Ghetto mods.... I love it.... do you have any photos of these lights? I'd like to see them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:
I have a few homebrews here- I'd like to post them, nothing that would really *impress* anyone, but I'd like to share them just the same.

Ghetto mods.... I love it.... do you have any photos of these lights? I'd like to see them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, here! I second that. I would also like to see your "ghetto mods", ginseng. And your mods, too, charliek.
I'll post mine once I get my LEDs in and finish them. [Lame ones, but mods none the less that a newbie like me should be proud.]

danno

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hairdryer!
truly the most ergonomic mod i've ever done!

click picture for more information

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Ohh,
I am fond of plumbing for modding. You can choose copper, black iron or galvanized steel as the material, find piping to fit everything from AAs to Ds and all sorts of connectors, reducers and angles to play with...

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually came across a pipe fitting that looks like the E1E/E2E bezel. I don't know what the part is called, but it has I.D threads on the hex end and straight round on the other end. All you need to do is drop in a optic or a reflector and maybe epoxy a lense on it and you'll have a nice head for your homemade light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

danielo_d

Enlightened
CharlieK
I did see the canister light and didn't realize that was yours at the time. Cool night lite for the kiddies.
Roth
What really happened to that juicy-juice left in the room? Cool hairdryer mod.
And Ginseng,
Almost regret asking to see your ghetto mod ...jk
That yogurt top, paper-roll mod is totally awesome! Only a true flashaholic could think of or appreciate such genius!!!
To all of you, I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif in your presence.
Great creativity!!!
Danno

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think the bio team (mom) came and removed the juicy-juice after a couple weeks...either that or it mutated into another lifeform and walked out of my room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif (that would explain the little creature i see running around from time to time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif )

Rebus

Enlightened
I can remember years ago before
I was even a Flashaholic, I took
an old timing light that we used
for tuning up old cars with points.
I took out the guts and replaced it
with 2AA's and a bulb wired to the trigger.
Sort of used it as a raygun. The lens
did a good job of focusing the beam.
Don't know what happened to it. If I was
doing it today I'd be trying to cram
4AA in with a kpr103.

-Rebus

danielo_d

Enlightened
I, too, was a flashaholic way back when. As a kid, I had one of those penlights that ran off two AA's. I totally destroyed it taking it apart hundreds of times [actually about ten times] out of curiosity.
I then saved the bulb, used a half-dead 9V battery and those old bread-bag ties for wires.

And how did I test the 9V Battery for voltage? With my tongue of course. Come on, you know you've done it before.

Well, after the initial 9V died, I replaced it with a stronger 9V and killed the bulb. And alas, a flashaholic was born.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh gosh,

I remember licking the 9V contacts to get a jolt. Sorta fun. I had a slightly less "fun" run in with electricity when I was younger. I was taking a bath and one of my toys was a plastic squirt gun. I decided I was going to shoot at the bare lightbulb on the side of the medicine cabinet. I shot it about a half dozen times until the bulb popped. Well, the stream must have been continuous because I got a fraction of a second of 60Hz buzz through my whole body. Probably not the wisest thing I ever did.

Wilkey