What kind of Vacuum do you use?

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is about dead. A horrible Bissell from Wal-Mart that has never performed as I expected it to. I don't have a lot of real-estate but a ton of dust to keep clean. Carpet, wood and tile.

What do you use?

Baddog

Newly Enlightened
one thing is for sure, get the very best, overlook the rest and u will save a heap of moolah in the long run. i have always stated that i am way too poor to buy crap.:thumbsup:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you'll find a serious vacuum at Wallmart. Do you own the property?

300winmag

Enlightened
Stay away from Dirt Devil, get an Electrolux. My dad refuses to dump his 20 year old Electrolux because it still works like the day he bought it. Central vacs are quite nice if its plausible for you.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Buy the very best?

I don't know. We have a $70 Hoover and we've had it for many years. We couldn't be happier with it. It's lightweight and has a lot of SUCK! We have no intention to trade it in for a $1000 vacuum cleaner. We bought it originally because it was a "best buy" recommendation from Consumer Reports.

Baddog

Newly Enlightened
Buy the very best?

I don't know. We have a $70 Hoover and we've had it for many years. We couldn't be happier with it. It's lightweight and has a lot of SUCK! We have no intention to trade it in for a $1000 vacuum cleaner. We bought it originally because it was a "best buy" recommendation from Consumer Reports.

ur on a winner if ur happy with it, the last one that i bought that was recommended by a consumer report actually drove me nuts with its high pitched howl, also it used to chip the render off walls going around corners...bought another recommendation and its wheels have never turned so it scrapes along the floor! im sticking with my Dyson..

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We've had no problems with a Sears Kenmore canister for a few years. Consumer Reports seems to usually like them. I think it was about $200.

Geoff

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pawnshop Kirby. Vintage models. New ones look like they might break but old Kirby's run for ever. And pawn shops usually price them cheap.

I think I bought the same bissell. It died after three turn ons. It runs but no suck. I think the impeller broke.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I use an old hoover upright for the carpet. It does great on the pet hairs and I recently bought a small cannister hoover vac that you can carry with one hand and it half as loud as other vacuums I use for other tasks. I was using a small shop vac but it is so loud you almost need ear plugs to prevent hearing loss. I can carry on a conversation while vacuuming with this one.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Dyson DC-07 Animal. I've owned Simplicitys and Kirbys which are great machines but when it comes right down to it the best vacuum is the one that I'll use the most. Using the tools on the Dyson is a breeze where as on my Dyson it's like having to do auto repair to kneel down and remove the front cover to swap out the attachment tool. Too much time and bother.

With the Dyson I switch from floor to tools several times as I go around the house. Also great to never need bags. Just empty each time and you're done.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dyson DC-07 Animal. I've owned Simplicitys and Kirbys which are great machines but when it comes right down to it the best vacuum is the one that I'll use the most. Using the tools on the Dyson is a breeze where as on my Dyson it's like having to do auto repair to kneel down and remove the front cover to swap out the attachment tool. Too much time and bother.

With the Dyson I switch from floor to tools several times as I go around the house. Also great to never need bags. Just empty each time and you're done.
^^^ I believe you meant to say Kirby here. I have one too..:)

We have a Kirby along with a rug shampooing attachment. We've had this thing between 21-25yrs. We bought it before we moved to the house we're at now and we've been here 21yrs. I've only had to do minor routine maintenance to it all these years. A few belts, bag attachment hose, a gasket or two... very little. It's a brute! It has powerful suction that when using the attachment hose, it is stronger than my big shop vac. My little wifey has begun to complain that as she's getting older, it's getting a bit heavy for her to maneuver. So......

..I just bought a Dyson DC25 Ball. We've only had it a couple of weeks so far so I can't really say to much about it. But, it certainly is a different animal. (we got the purple one - the Animal :)) It is lighter and more maneuverable and I like that the hose attachment is always there with you should you need to grab it for quick use. And it's so easy to do too, but the hose is a bit stiff. Maybe just need to get used to it. The ball makes it roll easily around on thick carpet or wherever. It seems to do a nice job whether on carpet, bare floor or upholstery. It might be in part because of the clear canister. You can see what you've picked up! Emptying is a breeze if you don't mind doing it that way. So far so good here. The more I've used this thing, the more I like it. There is a bit of a learning curve with it. There are other minor gripes I won't get into as they may not concern others. Anyone wanting to look further into it, you can check out this video here. There are lots of others too of course.

ypsifly

Enlightened
Our house has all hardwood floors, however one of our cats has very thick coat of long and fine fur that gets all over the rugs and furniture. We bought a Bissel Pet Eraser (or something like that, I'm at work) and it does an awesome job. Being bagless is a nice touch. We love it.

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
We have been through several department store vacuums, including a number recommended by Consumer Reports. The suction has been good on several of them, the reliability has not.

Our answer: A Sanitaire commercial upright vacuum. It is similar in design to the Eurekas of 20-30 years ago. Very few plastic parts. Easy to find parts and it's easy to get repairs done if necessary. Usually around $200-225 online. These are a nice compromise between the plastic models at department stores and the very expensive (although very good) Kirbys.