Fenix E21 tailcap is no longer working

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I got a Fenix E21 cool white a couple months ago, and it was working fine for a while. It hasn't taken much real damage, aside from minor bumps. I've been using rechargeable NiMH most of the time.

Yesterday, the tailcap stopped working. I took it off for a few minutes so I could measure the amperage with my multimeter, and after putting it back on, it would not hold the light on.

If I depress it all the way, it turns on and stays on as long as I hold it, else, it isn't working at all, shaking it doesn't change anything. I've verified with my ohm meter that it only conducts when I manually hold the switch all the way down. The switch feels exactly the same.

I don't know why it's suddenly stopped working, Fenix is supposed to have high quality and I've never had problems with my E21 before.

Thanks for your help.

JNieporte

Enlightened
I only had this happen with a Romisen AA, using a 14500 on it. What happened was the 14500 was too much voltage and didn't fry the LED, but it fried the switch. I had to hold it down for the light to come on, despite the "clicking" noise it still made. Did you try to use two 14500s in it (it only takes one time)? Maybe you killed the switch with higher voltage cells? Let the distributor know what's going on, and see if they can help (yes, I know this post is over four months old, but it's gone unanswered). If not, contact Fenix. Their customer service is great.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I've already taken care of the problem, which was a loose retaining ring, thanks.
The relevant posts were wiped I guess.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar issue with my E10 - annoying, but a little tightening fixed the problem.

-Trevor

seaplane

Newly Enlightened
The retaining ring has left hand threads and a paper clip bent into a u shape makes a quick tightening tool. Had one loosen up a couple of times now and the low beam mode has quit working on it .