Beamshots

Z

z_rcantor

To thank everyone for meeting such great people and having the privilege of spending so much $$ (on great products, however) I thought I'd post a few beamshots in case anyone else is thinking of getting similar lights.

After using these things in the forest a while my preference is for neutral color over intensity. If you stare at a photo you can see everything in a cool CCT flashlight photo you can see in a warm CCT photo. When you're out in a forest, the neutral lets you take in things you miss with the cool, plus you have better depth perception and rain/fog penetration. That's important in the Pacific NW. :)

But while looking for small things in a vast wilderness, the browns tend to blend together when the light color is too warm. I've only learned that recently. I was walking and a dark object caught my eye. My warm light showed me an amorphous mass hard to distinguish from the soil it was on. My neutral light made it clear it was a piece of bark. I'm sure the brightness had something to do with it but until someone makes me a D36 Luminous CxT 360 drop-in in warm I'll never know. Nailbender, what are you waiting for? :)

I don't have a DSLR - no white balance adjustments. The white wall shots are taken with all auto settings. Defects in or near the hotspot make it seem as if there's something moving as you move the flashlight in forested places, especially with uneven ground with fallen wood, rocks, etc.

The sheds in the distance shots are taken at f 3.2, 1,6 sec, iso 400. The sheds look brighter in the photo than real life but the trees in the background don't look nearly as bright in the photo as they did IRL. The trees were taken with the same settings. The hotspot R edge was placed on a tree 30 yards away. If you look at a few it'll be obvious which tree.

Control shots - Trees:

IMG_6898+sm.jpg

Home

IMG_6956+sm.jpg

First up the Ultrafire Wf 1000L Cree MC-E Bin K-WC

IMG_6787+sm.jpg

IMG_6924+sm.jpg

IMG_6948+sm.jpg

Second is the VanIsleDSM Quad P60 drop-in. To be fair, I got the unit with almost the lowest output possible, the 4.2A aluminum with 2 R4s and 2 Q5s.

Here you can see the LED pattern on low, -2 auto exposure

IMG_6885+sm.jpg

The full beam wouldn't fit on the wall but you get the idea...

IMG_6783+sm.jpg

IMG_6934+sm.jpg

IMG_6959+sm.jpg

Then the E-Rock triple. Since it shares a host with the quad until Monday I only have home shots:

IMG_6878+sm.jpg

IMG_6958+sm.jpg

Some comparisons:

The $16 MX power CREE XR-E WC R2

IMG_6785+sm.jpg

IMG_6931+sm.jpg

IMG_6953+sm.jpg

Ultrafire C309 CREE XP-G R5

IMG_6795+sm.jpg

IMG_6929+sm.jpg

This next image is 1 stop brighter than any of the others

IMG_6809+sm.jpg