big spotlight mod

Z

z_wickedwindwalker

Hello, everyone! I'm planning on going to my family reunion later in the summer(mid june-ish) and I wanted to take my big 12M CP spotlight with me. unfortunately, due to its age, the very large and heavy 12v lead acid battery is fried. That and the fact that it never really got more than 20 min run time meant it wasn't very practical.

Yes, I've thought about it conciderably. Maybe I should just replace the battery with a 3s Li-ion pack (or 2 for capacity) and be done with it. It would be cheaper, less time consuming, and less effort, and less weight.

Then I thought, if I'm going to change the batteries, why not change the :eek: huge and power thirsty car bulb out to LED(or any other low consumption high output light source). I've heard a lot of people talk about how bright their sst-90s are, so I looked them up. 2000+ lm each seems almost perfect for what I've been thinking about doing to the spotlight, but I need to ask a couple of questions.

1. I'd like to run 4-5 sst-90s in parallel. Is there a single driver capable of doing this or would i need to run 1 driver for every bulb?

2. I have looked through some pics of other peoples mods but i have yet to see pics of how the LEDs are attached to heatsinks/drivers. Can I place all 4-5 sst-90s on 1 large heatsink and wire it to the driver a short distance away?

If anyone has done this already and has pics please send me the link to the thread.