A2L, LX2, HDS Rotary

Z

z_tjmcmahon

So here's my situation. I don't have any particular need for a flashlight. I don't have any particular preference for flashlights. So far I have purchased, and like...

Surefire 6P w/Malkoff M61L

Quark Turbo 123x2

Quark Preon Revo

ZL SC60

SF L4

SF E1B

SF 6PX Pro

I have a few others that aren't really relevant to this question.

Either way, I feel like I need a thrower and a headlamp, and another awesome light. I have a friend who works at LL Bean who can get me 40% off a Minimus. So that's done.

My question is, if you are looking to spend around 150-200 bucks, (with CPF discounts of course) would you get the A2L, the LX2, or the New HDS Rotary? I know I'll end up with all 3 some day but if you had to get one which one would you grab?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think an A2L-RD would best compliment your current lights. The others may be nicer/cooler (subjective), but, the other choices don't add much to the functionality of what you already have. Same light in a different package. An A2L-RD gives you a nice floody, low red beam for stealth/night vision preservation. Think going to the john in the niddle of the night, or pulling something outta yer back-pack at night in a tent. The red won't hurt your eye's, and you'll be able to get you night vision back ALOT faster. Plus, it has a nice reflectored high white that gives you a good balance of throw/flood that just requires a little more pressure on the switch (like the L1/LX2)...you don't have to grab the light with your other hand to move a ring/bezel/etc.

Again, not saying that the others are not good lights (they are), just that the A2L-RD will fill in the gaps best for what you would use a flashlgiht for.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary....The A2L and LX2 are good, but common mass produced pieces of hardware. The HDS Rotary...Now that's something special. Custom built by hand at a small company in the USA.

:bow:
RotaryB.jpg

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT depends on your intended use. If you need a light with good output, and more of a general task light, without expecting 100+yards of throw, I would go with the HDS Rotary 200 or Clicky 200 (depending if you like the idea of the rotary or not). If you need a bright light with good/great throw in a reasonable size, go with the LX2.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold off until the High CRI Rotary is available.

That way you're guaranteed to get something that isn't just an incremental improvement over your other lights.

--flatline

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I was just on illumination supply's website and he has a Malkoff M61HCRI listed as a new product for April. Haven't seen it anywhere else though. Lists its CRI as 90, no other numbers though. How do you guys think this would compare to the HDS CRI. And is the consensus on the HDS Rotary CRI over the regular Rotary?

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
I have the LX2 and the Rotary... well I will be putting the LX2 up for sale very soon! So my suggestion is definitely go with the Rotary. It is wonderful! I can't quit bragging about it. It is the first light that has really impressed me in a really long time!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just on illumination supply's website and he has a Malkoff M61HCRI listed as a new product for April. Haven't seen it anywhere else though. Lists its CRI as 90, no other numbers though. How do you guys think this would compare to the HDS CRI. And is the consensus on the HDS Rotary CRI over the regular Rotary?
As far as I know that information hasn't been released. No one knows if/when the CRI will be released or if it will still be using the old emitter. I got the rotary allready because I have a feeling that the CRI will be using the old emitter, or a newer emitter with max well under 200 lumens. Some people are holding out for the HDS Rotary to come out with a neutral emitter, but considering the delays that have taken place with the cool rotary, those could be a ways off.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is, if you are looking to spend around 150-200 bucks, (with CPF discounts of course) would you get the A2L, the LX2, or the New HDS Rotary? I know I'll end up with all 3 some day but if you had to get one which one would you grab?

I believe I have all of the lights mentioned so far except for the ZL SC60. I'd definitely get the Rotary first. It goes a lot dimmer than the A2L for night vision and brighter as well for spotting something in the shadows. The LX2 has a nice simple two level interface but is more of a spotlight with limited spill in my early example. I have a later model LX2 still in the box, I'll probably give it to a family member since it is easy to operate.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with HDS rotary. It is probably the most useful light one could ever hope to have. Henry is currently testing on a new high CRI emitter that has the same CRI rating as the old SSC P4 of 93 and with a cooler color temperature than the SSC P4 high CRI, and from what I gather here in CPF it could only be the Nichia 119 emitter for no other high CRI emitters come close to this description. You might want to hold out for that. As for me, I got myself the cool white rotary until the high CRI version is out.

I have the LX2 but hardly use it now. Great light but I prefer clicky interface now.

You may or may not realize it now, but a light with very low moon mode is great when you don't want to disturb the people around you or damage your night adapted vision. There could be other reasons to go into moon mode but only you the user would know. So ya, go with the rotary.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Its somewhat crazy, and although I dont have the rotary I really think it might be on par with the SC60. The zebralight, although 1/3 the cost, I feel is very similar in performance to the rotary. It's putting out around 300 lumens and has a very simple interface. You can get to essentially 6 different modes in less than 3 seconds. Now I understand the build quality is obviously far from that of the HDS, but I still think its an interesting comparison. It has a moonlight mode for all intents and purposes as low as the HDS, and a max mode that is brighter than the HDS, for alot longer. Its also a virtually perfect beam, on the floody side. Anyone have both? I do have the SC60 for the record, and for the functionality that the HDS provides Im not sure I can justify dropping 200 bones for it. Even though I know I will. But if you give the two lights to someone who doesn't know how much each costs, would it be that apparent that the HDS is over 3x as much?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its somewhat crazy, and although I dont have the rotary I really think it might be on par with the SC60. The zebralight, although 1/3 the cost, I feel is very similar in performance to the rotary. It's putting out around 300 lumens and has a very simple interface. You can get to essentially 6 different modes in less than 3 seconds. Now I understand the build quality is obviously far from that of the HDS, but I still think its an interesting comparison. It has a moonlight mode for all intents and purposes as low as the HDS, and a max mode that is brighter than the HDS, for alot longer. Its also a virtually perfect beam, on the floody side. Anyone have both? I do have the SC60 for the record, and for the functionality that the HDS provides Im not sure I can justify dropping 200 bones for it. Even though I know I will. But if you give the two lights to someone who doesn't know how much each costs, would it be that apparent that the HDS is over 3x as much?

Hey Tommy. I am inclined to agree with you. I have the SC60 which I like for all the same reasons as you, and a brand new Tactical 200 with a Rotary 200 on the way. I carry the SC60 clipped bezel down in my left front pocket and the T200 clipped bezel down in my right front pocket. Both are great lights that I really like for different, and some of the same reasons. I will not be able to stop carrying my SC60 when the Rotary arrives, so I will carry the Rotary in a holster. I am a true flashaholic and won't mind at all having three great lights on my person. I think it will be one hell of an EDC lineup. :thumbsup:

Dsc01952.jpg

HDST200a.jpg

ZLSC60b.jpg

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Man that was quick. Ya you are definately on to something there. I think you just need a thrower. Get an E1b with a Z68 tailcap and you will have it all covered. (I have one of those and it is a beautiful little light.) Also I have an L1 with a tailstanding cap, thats my thread under my old username thats also going right now. It throws well also, not as good as the E1b (110/10) to (65/15) but it is definitely close. Another reason I like the L1 and the E1b and something I dont like about the HDS and ZL60 is the orientation of the clip. I am a teacher and although I always have one or two flashlights on me I cant go showing a clip on my pocket. People would likely think it was a knife and I might get in trouble. In addition to that I also love being able to put a light on my hat. I coach baseball and frequently have hats on. Also in the winter in Maine its infinitely useful to be able to throw my hat on with one of my lights, and have hands free operation. This is how Ive gotten around to not dropping 100+ on a Minimus yet. That being said....

Is there any clip out there that allows essentially bezel up carry for the HDS lights?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Tommy. I am inclined to agree with you. I have the SC60 which I like for all the same reasons as you, and a brand new Tactical 200 with a Rotary 200 on the way. I carry the SC60 clipped bezel down in my left front pocket and the T200 clipped bezel down in my right front pocket. Both are great lights that I really like for different, and some of the same reasons. I will not be able to stop carrying my SC60 when the Rotary arrives, so I will carry the Rotary in a holster. I am a true flashaholic and won't mind at all having three great lights on my person. I think it will be one hell of an EDC lineup. :thumbsup:
So how is the beam and output of the SC60 compared to the 200 tactical?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how is the beam and output of the SC60 compared to the 200 tactical?

Two completely different beam patterns. The HDS is more of a thrower due to a deeper, wider reflector. The SC60 is more flood with a bigger spot due to a much more shallow, narrower reflector. The SC60 is brighter in the closet bounce test, but the HDS out throws it easily. I like both of their beam characteristics very much. They are both flawless.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Oh boy, what is the deal with that E1b?! What did you do to it and so I dont have to ask, what does that mean? What kind of beam is that throwing out. Did he take out the TIR optics? Is it even more of a thrower now? Excited.