Christchurch, NZ Earthquake Thread

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts go out to the people who suffered the horrible tragedy in Christchurch, NZ today. I hope our fellow Kiwi CPF members and their families are safe.

When I saw images of the earthquake on TV, the first thing that crossed my mind was What the hell just happened? It looks like an apocalypse! Then it immediately reminded me of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake here in the Bay Area and 9/11. Collapsed buildings with pancaked stories, people walking around dazed and confused. It scared the s**t out of me.

The Hayward Fault (where I live) is overdue for an earthquake, and is supposed to dwarf Hurricane Katrina. I will be heading to Costco first thing tomorrow to prepare for the worst. I urge our Bay Area CPFers to do the same.

Again my thoughts are with those who lost their loved ones in this horrible tragedy.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
We had a giant thread on this topic that was apparently lost in The Great Deletion; a news update announced an hour ago that the Christchurch Cathedral is going to be demolished, so those of you wishing to see it should do so soon..

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a very beautiful building and had survived many earthquakes so I'm sorry for the people of Christchurch who are losing a bit of their history. The Cathedral was built in the 1800s and has been a landmark for Christchurch ever since.

450px-ChristChurchCathedral1_gobeirne.jpg

cr_mega_173_christchurch-cathedral.jpg

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The Hayward Fault (where I live) is overdue for an earthquake...
I don't think the earth is EVER overdue for a quake. When it's time for a quake we have one. The fact that science says that we are overdue for a quake only means that our science has a limited understanding of the subject.

It is amusing that science's point of view is such that it is easier to blame the earth's timing of quakes instead of just admitting that they don't know what they are talking about much of the time.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Christchurch's new temporary church opened to the public today; the cardboard-tube a-frame is stably mounted on shipping containers, and the stained glass triangles feature scenes from the original church's windows. Room for 700, and designed to last 50 years, more than enough time to plan and construct the permanent church, at which time this one can be quickly and easily razed.

imes6IM6TYMv0.jpg

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
So simple yet beautiful. I'm glad a temporary replacement was built.

Interestingly enough the "City Centre" street sign looks like something straight from California streets, aside from different spelling. :eek:

I don't think the earth is EVER overdue for a quake. When it's time for a quake we have one. The fact that science says that we are overdue for a quake only means that our science has a limited understanding of the subject.

It is amusing that science's point of view is such that it is easier to blame the earth's timing of quakes instead of just admitting that they don't know what they are talking about much of the time.

Sure, but the same argument can be made about predicting weather. Meteorologists get it wrong all the time, but people still rely on it anyhow...

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Interestingly enough the "City Centre" street sign looks like something straight from California streets, aside from different spelling. :eek:

Seems to be a standard design, they are the same here in Oz.

Norm