experience with surefire LX2 in extreme cold weather

timsmile

Newly Enlightened
I am a high school student studying in Hong Kong

Last week, my friends and me went to Rovaniemi of Finalnd to spend our half-term holiday. And we joined an overnight trip to witness the Northern Light.

We spent one night in the center of a forest within the Arctic Circle. As the thermometer shown, it was -49°F (or -45°C) outside our camp!!!

To take some photos of the beautiful night, I took out my Canon camera. I also used my Surefire LX2 (I wrapped it with a thin layer of non-adhesive bandage to prevent it from sticking my bare hand under cold temp ) and my 4sevens Quark 123 Tactical to light up the dark and set up my equipment.

I was shocked to find that in extremely cold condition, my cameras battery depleted really quickly. My battery used up after I took only 10ish photos :eek:oo:. luckily ive brought along 2 backup batteries. And my iPhone couldnt even be switched on!

And for my flashlights, the Quark 123 kept on blinking and died out after an hour. But surprisingly, my LX2 functioned flawlessly even under such cold weather. It continuously functioned on low mode for more than 5-6 hours without any problem. I didnt even need to change the batteries! I believe thats the surefire quality i often heard in this forum :naughty:.

and at the end, I was really lucky to witness the beautiful northern light. That's absolutely amazing :grin2:

So, if you wish to buy a flashlight that would never fail you, get a surefire or something similar!

btw, sorry for my bad english :D