Replacing LED in Arc LSH-P?

mindcrime

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone ever had luck replacing the LED in an ARC LSH-P? Mine is bluish, probably Q4. I have some Q3's coming. Can it be done? More importantly, SHOULD it be done. What are some good projects to use my Q3's on?

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
It is not hard except getting the LED centered so the beam is also centered. I did mine with an LSL-S now it has an R2H high dome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done it. Centering is the hardest part. Don't torque the retaining ring on too hard when you put it back together or you'll hear a scrunching sound. Also, centering the LED on the board does not necessarily center the beam. There are tolerances built in that will make centering difficult sometimes, but I've had good luck with my mods.

CM

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
Blue Shift and CM:

So, was it worth it? What were your results? Would you recommend doing it? Assuming yes, would you consider ($$$) doing it again for a CPFer with all thumbs?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
alanhuth,

If you happen to get a second with a dim LED, it's probably worth it. Don't bother with a LSH-P though because you'll probably get a very small increase in brightness, not to mention you void the warranty.

This is a mod that can be done by someone skilled with a soldering iron and a needlenose (as well as patience). I highly recommend getting a second and trying it yourself. The pride of being able to say "I did it" is worth a lot more than the $$ value you can attach to the light itself. If you are truly all thumbs, then PM me, or Blue Shift if he's willing.

CM

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a stonking bright R2K put into my LS Second by someone here on CPF. This little LS is easily the brightest and whitest 1w light I have right now (I don't have any ridiculously overdriven lights, but it's easily brighter than my BB500 with an ~N ranked low dome).

The guy that did the mod for me said it was was a bit brighter than his stock LSH-P's. I'd wager it's not worth the effort if you already have the premium version.

Jon