• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: 52mm Aspheric for Mags

ahorton

Enlightened
I recently produced a batch of 27mm aspherics designed specifically for the XR-E and to fit in a p60 drop-in. You can read about the responses here (more towards the end of the thread). I also made (500) and sold out of a similar lens before that.

Now I've been asked to make a similar quality lens in a 52mm size for the larger Maglites.

This is an interest thread.

I'll have to make at least 500 and it'll cost me more than I write down but if there's enough interest then I'll try to make it happen.

It will take a few months and a pre-sale before I'm confident enough to put the money down.

Here are my thoughts on how this can work:

(and I reserve the right to change anything up to the point that people start paying)

Step 1 - I do my calculations and discuss what's possible with my machinist.

This will include me estimating prices and the optical characteristics.

Meanwhile I gather interest in this thread

(people saying things like quot;Im keen for 4 at that pricequot;)

Step 2 - If it looks feasible, then I'll offer a pre-sale for about 2 weeks. The pre-sale will be at a discounted rate. At the end of the two weeks, if enough people have paid to convince me that I'm not going to go broke, then I'll make the order. If only a few people pay during the pre-sale then I'll refund everyone's money.

Sorry about my cautiousness but I'm still a long way from paying off the last batch of lenses even though I'm confident that I'll break even after a year or so.

Step 3 - Waiting for the lenses to be made

The discounted price will still be available until they are made and ready to send.

Step 4 - They arrive and I start sending them out

The discounted price will end and I'll go on selling them for as long as they last.

My current estimates:

I think it should be possible to get a 52mm lens (including a 2mm lip around the edge), that focuses well when held 20.7mm from the base of the XR-E or 16.3mm from the top of the XR-E's dome. It would be about 26.3mm thick.

Prices (very temporary)

$20 each

$60 for 4

$100 for 10

$200 for 30

Discounted price would be about 20% off.

AR coating might be possible but it might double the prices. It's always expensive in small batches.

I'll also try to put together an aluminium and/or copper heatsink/spacer to make assembly easy.

Postage is an average flat rate per package of

$15 Airmail

$25 Registered Airmail

Important disclaimer: Whenever something like this is done, there's always a risk that the product turns out rubbish. My mould maker is very good and once when there was a problem, they remade the whole batch for me at no extra cost. So far I've had 3 different lenses made (no they have not all been on CPF) and they've all been great but we must all acknowledge the risk and be ready for it if it happens. Bottom line: If the product isn't as perfect as the previous ones have been, then I can't afford to give everyone refunds from the pre-sale. We'll be sharing the risk together. Let me know your thoughts...

PS, I've never owned a Mag. Where can I buy one cheaply?

ahorton

Enlightened
Oh well,

All the previous discussion is lost.

So we'll just start again if anyone is keen.