If You Play With Sharp Toys

MicroE

Enlightened
This is a public service announcement for warm-blooded members......

If you happen to be one of those people that play with sharp toys and accidentally cut yourself there is now a new way to stop the bleeding.

UrgentQR is a POWDER that you pour onto the cut. It STOPS THE BLOOD FLOW and forms a scab within 30 seconds.

It has just been released and I bought it at CVS.
Does anybody have experience with this stuff?
This sounds like something that you would definitely want to keep around the house.

http://www.urgentqr.com

P.S. -- I also posted this over in bladeforums (where everybody plays with sharp toys!).

ewick

Enlightened
What about the price? All the prices I found on the net were outrageous.

Maybe a little off topic, but can anyone verify whether current, run-of-the-mill superglue is safe to use in the same manner?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This stuff sounds like it would be perfect for people on anticoagulants or with conditions which prevent normal coagulation. Great thing to have in your camping gear/first aid kits.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dry dirt and spider webs do pretty much the same thing in an emergency. Probably not as hygienic as that UrgentQR stuff tho.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That stuff works great. It was available to us for the first time about a year ago.

There is a trick to using it - don't just "sprinkle" it in, but rather "pack" and apply a pressure for about 30 seconds.

p.s. It is not intended for minor cuts.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Interesting. If it works like it claims to, it should do quite well (esp. for hemophiliacs).

It doesn't work the same as superglue, ewick. I know some people who have used superglue on minor cuts in a pinch (myself included), but I don't know that I'd recommend it. If you do try that, I would use care to avoid getting too much glue into the wound itself. Just try and glue the skin together at the surface as a temporary fix. Again, I don't recommend this though.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard they're actually using superglue in minor surgeries. It creates less scaring......just what I've heard. Might do a search later on this topic to confirm this is true.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't super glue contain cyanocrylate which contains cyanide? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Dan

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

will this work for more serious injuries such as nicks from tablesaws and having the top of your thumb sanded off?
like if muscle and bone were removed also?

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is what it's made for. The only limitations are arterial lecarations and partial/full amputations.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
ca has been used to close cuts and other injuries for a long time.
i have used it several times on deep cuts.you have to look hard to see the scars.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CA glue used in the medical is a little different than the typical Superglue. It has less crap in it to cause irritation to your body.

I don't know if it works the same or is as sterile, but you can find a similar product in pet stores. It used to stop minor bleeding from nicks and cuts in animals, also for when you're cutting an animals nails and cut one too short and nick the vein.

Tomas

Banned
IIRC CA glues for surgery were first intro'd by Eastman in a special "emergency field medicine" study in Viet Nam. It was used on the surface to close wounds until full medical/surgical care could get to the person. It worked.

In Viet Nam we also used almost identical CA glues (Eastman 911 and 912) for gluing our F4 Phantoms back together when they got holes or gashes in their skin.

I especially liked the 912 as it was a heavier liquid, almost like honey (similar in color, too). We did strange, uh, "unofficial" things with it at times - like gluing our commander's vehicle wheels to the concrete ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

This new stuff sounds like something I should have around since I'm on 2.5mg/day Warfarin.

T_sig6.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:...This new stuff sounds like something I should have around since I'm on 2.5mg/day Warfarin....

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. You'll want to keep this stuff around if you are on an anti-coagulant (Warfarin, Cumidin) or are a hemophiliac.
I spoke with the company CEO and he told me that it was, in fact, tested on many people with severe hemophilia.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, one of the first uses of CA was arterial closures in field surgery. The artery or vein would be clamped off, the edges of the damaged vessel would then be trimmed. Then an empty gelatin capsule would be inserted into the open ends of the severed vessel and the opposing edges sealed together with CA. After a brief time, the clamps would be removed and the restored blood flow would dissolve the capsule. This method allowed the damage to be repaired much faster than stitching, with a lower chance of leakage. I just thought you might like to know why CA glues flesh together better than anything else.

Dan

P.S. Until the mid-80s (when the FDA insisted that Eastman-Kodak summit CA to a series of test for FDA approval, which E-K didn't), CA was used for the encapsulation of subdural hematomas (weakened vessels in the brain).