Newbie question about bulbs, volts, and amps

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
I was sitting around looking at my Pelican Stealthlight (4AA light) and Pelican M10 (4C light) and noticed that the heads were about the same size. So I tried putting the M10 lamp assembly in the Stealthlight…perfect fit! Then I thought I could take advantage of the nice Pelican aluminum reflectors and put a M11 (NiCad 4C pack) rechargable assembly in the Stealthlight and use NiMH AAs to get a really bright beam in a small package. (I use a Carley 604 lamp for rechargeables in my PT40 with NiMH AAs and I love the light output but can't have it on a long time due to the reflector melting).

I just got my lamp assembly from Brightguy and put it in. It is a nice heavy aluminum dimpled reflector that fits in nicely. Although the beam shape was nice due to the dimpled reflector, it wasn't very bright and the color was pretty yellow. Is that due to the internal resistance of the NiMHs? The lamp is rated at 4.8V and 1.85A. The voltage is ok with 4 NiMH AAs, but could it be that they cannot put out enough current? Or does the voltage drop too much under load? I am new to flashlight modding and I'm no genius when it comes to electronics, so any help is appreciated.

Alan