Preon 2 tailcap coming unscrewed-How to keep it tight but still pressable?

MikeGoob

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap (part that houses the button) comes loose and actually has come off while in my pocket a few times

I can tighten it down but then the button sticks when pressed. Is there any solution to this where I can keep the cap from separating but still keep a non sticky button?

Anyone else have this issue?

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I have the same issue. The Preon 2 tailcap is a nightmare isn't it?

Its that darn rubber "hat" underneath which causes the problems. And the tailcap can be disassembled into 5 pieces rather easily. Far too many variables.

I still don't know what to do about it.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Dab of Blue Loctite?

The problem with that is the inconsistent nature of the rubber hat that sits on top of the switch. It can maneuver itself into a position which traps the button in the depressed position. So we need to keep readjusting it.

If it's fully tightened then the button won't activate the light... Perhaps a contact issue regarding the tail switch and the tube?

If it's very loose, then the light will work but the water resistance is compromised and the tailcap can come apart with general use. There is a sweet spot but I don't trust the water resistance and with only minor accidental twisting of the tailcap, one can lose the sweet spot to either direction. Numerous times I've needed light, clicked te tailcap, and had nothing happen. This is inexcusable for a relatively new light using fresh batteries, when all the pieces are assembles tightly.

I don't know whether I got a lemon or if it's a design flaw... I miss the simplicity of the Fenix LD05 tailcap.

Nico01

Newly Enlightened
Dab of Blue Loctite?

I would worry that this might break electrical contact in the threads, but if applied in moderation that might be negligible.

Edit: saw OPs response above. OP, is there any way you can dissasemble the tailcap and take some good high res photos? I'm not familiar with the Preon, but maybe photos are enough to get an idea of how to fix it.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a problem with my Preon 2 clicky. It just wouldn't work anymore. So.... I took it apart and after much thought added some copper tape to the connectors near the bottom of the switch. That little piece of copper is still working in EDC. I ordered a new switch from 4Sevens and it appears to be redesigned.

Latest posts