Variable Brightness AND XM-L?

DLF

Newly Enlightened
Were starting to see a variety of lights using Crees XM-L emitter, all the way from the MiNiX 123 up to the v2 Catapult. And growing in popularity are lights having some form of variable brightness control (Ra Rotary, RRT MCS rings, etc.). What I havent seen is a light incorporating both of these technologies. Anybody know of one, even if its not actually released for sale yet?

-- DLF

djj

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Peak SR800A. It has an XM-L emitter and a nice output adjustment knob up near the head, where it's easy to work when holding the light in a relaxed underhand grip. Overall, this is a great flashlight. One very cool thing about it is the absolutely incredible range of brightness. On high, it's pushing the emitter at 3.4 amps (close to 1000 emitter lumens, if I recall from looking at the XM-L spec sheet), and on low it's waaaaay lower than anything else I have (including photon freedom & HDS) except maybe my 38DD on the lowest I can possibly adjust it to. It has a large deep reflector, and throws like a champ.

There was a minor issue with the adjustment knob turning roughly which I was able to fix on my own with some sandpaper. I can't hold that against Peak, since I didn't give them a chance to deal with it.

I highly recommend this flashlight if you're looking for a very bright thrower, and can foot the bill (~$300) and handle the size (~10.5"L, ~2.75"W at the head).

They are also selling the FR800A and will be selling the NP600A soon, both of which also are variable XM-L powered lights.

Were starting to see a variety of lights using Crees XM-L emitter, all the way from the MiNiX 123 up to the v2 Catapult. And growing in popularity are lights having some form of variable brightness control (Ra Rotary, RRT MCS rings, etc.). What I havent seen is a light incorporating both of these technologies. Anybody know of one, even if its not actually released for sale yet?

-- DLF

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L. It's not exactly a variable ring, but it's pretty close. The control ring turns smoothly, and has 5 settings: 5, 65, 192, 404, and 748 ANSI lumens. Great light & great UI.

dondulah

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the OP. For a great emitter, there are not a lot of variable output options in XM-L especially in the sub $150 range. The M3C4 is a good option, I just can't get over its "ugly" looks imho :), although I am not sure how important that is.

juplin

Enlightened
I have a modded V10R Ti XM-L T6 :naughty:
V10RTiXML_01.jpg

V10RTiXML_02.jpg

http://www.shoudian.com/thread-173879-1-6.html
http://www.shoudian.com/thread-173630-1-3.html

recDNA

Flashaholic
I remember a mod like that for sale that I really wanted but it was just not in my price range. The modder was nice enough to offer doing it for me in aluminum but when you add the price of the V10 and the XML itself with even a tiny labor charge it gets a little pricey. The Peak is also out of my range. The Varapower XML is available with an adjustment ring. The thing I like about the Varapower is that it uses safer chemistry batteries. They're all too expensive for me though so I'll have to wait for a less expensive version to come along.