Fenix Eo5 Runtime Experience

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I've been looking for a nice, single AAA light that might serve as my general purpose EDC. Looking primarily at the runtime tests of the 4Sevens Preon Revo, Fenix LD01, and Preon 1, on these forums, I'll admit that I was disappointed, and I didn't see anything that made me feel that purchasing one of these three would give me a light signficantly better than my Fenix E05, especially since I was most interested in the medium setting runtimes. Medium is what I seem to use the most, and I also like that the Fenix lights generally come on in medium instead of low. The medium level, runtime tests that I looked at didn't seem to hold up to the numbers advertised on the packaging, and none of those runtime numbers seemed signifiantly improved over what I already have in the E05.

So I had the day off work, and I thought Id turn my E05 on and leave it on to see how long the battery would hold out. The light contains an Energizer Lithium battery thats been in the light since before Thanksgiving. Ive used the light regularly throughout that time, for short periods of time (to examine something in low light, to find the keyhole when my wife turns the porch light off on me, and many miscellaneous other things). Anyway, I turned the light on at 2:12p.m. The light output remained pretty much unchanged (to my eyes) for 3 hours. What surprises me though, is that it is now 8:49 (6hrs running), and the light is still running. Its no longer useful light, but Im really surprised it hasnt gone out completely. On a fresh battery, I think the E05 would hold out just as long as any of the ones mentioned above on the medium setting, and yet the E05 seems to have a semi-bad rap for not having a long enough runtime for many. Based on my experience, I think the rap might be unfair.

Now, I dont know how people that know what they are doing, do runtime tests, and I do realize that what I did does not constitute a legit runtime test. Like I said, the light gave off about 3 hrs of good light, so my claim of 6+hrs above isnt realistic in a real world environment, but I do find it interesting nonetheless. Maybe this is typical on led lights. This is the first time Ive left one on to see how long it would last. Maybe this is typical behavior for an led?

Edit to add: Went out completely sometime between 9:15 and 9:30.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The eo5 does get a terrible rap that it does not deserve. I am currently in a brownout, and the only light i felt safely leaving on was my fenix eo5. All my lithium lights worried me because they were getting so hot at medium level, while the eo5 remained cool temperature. The eo1 was just not cutting it for me to light up a room, hence why i put all my lights on medium and not low. After this experience, i think i will be buying a couple more eo5's just incase something like this happens again in the future. And I will be selling the lights that i felt got hot too fast.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E05 is IMHO a must-have for any flashaholics. I use it very often (3-4times a day) since it came out and I never had problem with it. Runtime is not an issue for me. I get a good 2 1/2 hours with an eneloop and I do have some spare AAA in my EDC gear. That flood beam is so useful and since the light is very small, I often hold it in my mouth, it's like always having a headlamp. Perfect for close-up jobs.

Last edited:

Richub

Enlightened
I'm using an 800 mAh rechargable AAA in my E05, so I don't really care about runtimes.
Good to hear it has a 'moonlight mode' too so it doesn't just die on you once the battery runs down.

This light is indeed a lot better than it's reputation suggests. Nice floody beam, tint is a pure white, and it's powerful enough for most indoor tasks. It's even pretty usable outdoors for close range tasks.

I'm carrying this little gem on me at all times now. :)

ragweed

Enlightened
The E05 was intended to be an EDC light & it fits that role perfectly. I have been using mine for 3 months on the same battery. I use it only when I need it though. If you use a light for hours on end the E05 might not be the best choice for you. For EDC it beats the ARC AAA hands down & costs a lot less than the ARC.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two EO5's today. I don't ever use 3-5 lumens and I don't see the point of 80 lumens for up close work. I think the EO5 is a well thought out little light and my only gripe would be it's so darned small you could lose it in your belly buttion lint. And I just love looking at that built in diffuser. I was going to get an E10, but upon inspecting it in the flesh I said no, it's HUGE for a single AA light.

EO5 deserves to be praised for what it is - a no fuss, single mode light intended for EDC use that's so small it makes you giggle.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
What I think is funny about the E05 criticism is when I read people wishing it had multiple levels and crazy long runtimes. I have read people saying that "Fenix has done a huge disservice and alienated a core group of runtime enthusiasts". What? It offers an amazing efficiency for the amount of brightness it gives. It is right in the sweet spot for perfectly usable lumens. I recently did a poll asking how many lumens people most often use and the majority are in the 10-40 range, right where the E05 is. The people who are saying these things must forget that Fenix already has the LD01 with long runtimes and multiple levels. The E05 was not trying to do the same thing. In my opinion it is a wonderful light and has been my EDC since I received it.

Also, here is a link to some runtime tests done on it. Over six hours on a fresh L91!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the E05 hit a sweet spot for me.

simple, 27 lumens(XP-E), compact, lightweight.

ive had my E05 on my keys since it released, and im still on its first battery which is a energizer lithium primary.
ive never had to use it for over a minute at a time.

lately, ive been wanting to mod it with a high CRI XP-G

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I agree with the above comments, and the E05 has become one of my favorite, and my most used light...indoors and out. I now own 3 of them. One I keep on a lanyard, and it gets used daily around the house, and when the kids ask for a light. A second on my keychain, and a third new in the box as a spare. All are the R4 versions, just because that is what was available at the time I was ordering. Finish is holding up fine, even on the keychain. No problems whatsoever. Even my wife and kids notice how useful the nice flood beam is compared to many other flashlights I have around.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the E05 is getting some much deserved respect. I carry the LD01-SS on the keychain, but I like the E05 indoors ALOT. I think it might be the best alround gift light right now for non-flashaholics. I've not had mine very long but I've used a lot of AAA lights and this one has a job to do and it does it perfectly.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gifted one of my EO5's to a friend for his 40th birthday today and he loves it. He couldn't believe how bright it was compared to his button cell light on his keychain. He's not a flashaholic by any means, but now he at least has a decent EDC.

I think I'm going to get a whole bunch of these for gifts and as spares for everywhere. Would love one with a pocket clip.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two one XP-E and one XP-G and I agree with what everyone is saying and believe it is what it is, one of the simplest most useful keychain light's available. It's very small, easy to rotate the bezel and the lumens are plenty. I prefer the tint and slightly more floody XP-G model but they are both great.

I've had mine since their release from Fenix Outfitters and I use it everyday for brief periods and I'm still on the same L92.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a question, are L92's ok in this little light? The instruction manual implies that only ni-mh and alkaline are ok. Fenix do some weird things, like not making ALL their AA and AAA lights lithium compatible. If lithium is good to go then I'll tell my friend to get some (leaking battery after 12 months = ruined light) for the longer runtime. I'm using an eneloop in mine, but when I get some more EO5's, lithiums might be the way to go as they will be sitting in gloves boxes and such for an indefinate amount of time.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
There good to go, I've had no problems and have not read about anyone else having trouble. I use Lithium in all my other AA and AAA Fenix light's and the only issue I ever have is loosing the low mode on the LD10 and L2D for a brief time until the battery voltage drops. I've always used them in my E01, LD01 and E05.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Lithium primary L92 are the way to go. With a single cell light, the difference from when the cells are new new is only about 0.2 of a volt or so over Alkalines, it's not really a big deal. No risk to the light. And the benefits are tremendous (compared to Alkallines... for ones that don't sit around a lot I use eneloops.)

DaveG

Enlightened
Mine is still on its first lithium from 7 months ago when I first got it.It does not get lots of use,just day to day on and off stuff.I am going to this light more and more,when I dont want to carry a larger light, its a great little light for EDC.