Daddy, why did we have to attack Iraq?

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sharp

Enlightened
LMAO!
You're great Hawk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most sad part of it is that it's mostly true. Don't you just love how our media craftily spins things around so that it always looks like our government is playing the part of the the good guys no matter what it does? It's also interesting to note that it's done in such a slick manner that most Americans don't even realize that they have been brainwashed to think a certain way.

If only people would wake up and learn to think for themselves instead of just blindly believing everything that is told to them on the nightly news. This article is a great example of a man that has learned to think for himself instead of just blindly believing what he is told to believe.

Thanks hawkhkg11 for sharing such an insightful article. It made for a very interesting read. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
X-Cal: I think you would be extremely interested in reading Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent", in which he basically talks about exactly what you said, the media shaping our opinions and our lives. I suggest you read it!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
a VERY GOOD article!
makes you think twice about a lot of things you were told to accept as truths of whatever kind.
a nice approach to show how false we all have become.
bernhard

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Doubleganger: I symbolically do the same to you! That article is an EYE-OPENER! Thank you! I don't think many people will read it though, so I'm going to paste the last 2 paragraphs here (which I think sums up the article nicely). The title of the article is called:

They Didn't Attack Switzerland

---------------------------------------------------------

Switzerland does not send troops to intervene in other nations. Switzerland does not spend billions of dollars yearly to fund dictators around the world, nor did Switzerland donate hundreds of billions of dollars to the Warsaw Pact through bank "loans". Switzerland does not send billions of dollars worth of weaponry every year to the warring tribes in the Middle East. Switzerland has no enemies. Yet the Swiss are armed to the teeth and dug into every hill and under every building.

US policy is the mirror image of the Swiss. The US intervenes everywhere, spies on everyone, supports every faction in every dispute. We have as many enemies as there are disputatious people in the world. Yet we spend more effort on disarming our own airline pilots than on providing shelters for our children against nuclear, chemical, or biological attack. We have vast conventional armies for refighting W.W.II, vast numbers of nuclear weapons for murdering the populations of cities. But no defense for our children.

They didn't attack Switzerland.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
there are some very enlightening thoughts presented in this thread. makes me think about a lot of things ...
bernhard

but then, you could invade Switzerland to gain control of the chocolate industry ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
hawkhkg11: Thanks for referring me to Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent". I will go now and do a search for it. Thanks again for posting this article to. It proves many points much better with it's childlike simplicity than the most complicated and eloquent language could easily convey.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q: Daddy, why did we have to attack Iraq?
A: Because they had weapons of mass destruction, Saddam was a murderer, torturer, rapist, and supported terrorists and terrorism. he was a dangerous and destabilizing force in the middle east. the UN estimates he is responsible for 300,000+ civilian deaths.

Q: But the inspectors didn't find any weapons of mass destruction.
A: correct! because that wasnt their job. their job was to verify Saddam's compliance with the UN resolutions that were unanimously approved. those resolutions stated that Saddam had to prove he destroyed his illegal weapons. Saddam did not comply.

Q: And that's why we invaded Iraq?
A: Yep. the UN decided not to support the resolution they previously supported. the US enforced those resolutions legally through use of force. we even gave Saddam multiple warnings and allowed him 12 years to comply.

now, go to bed honey, and rest well knowing Uday and Qusay wont be raping any more little girls like you.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Pedalinbob: You sound like one of Bush's advisers saying those words! Why? Because everything you've said above can be directly taken out of either Bush or the biased media. But that doesn't matter, everything you said are facts anyway. I'll agree to that. (well, except for the 300,000 civilian deaths by Saddam, it's proven that a majority of civilian deaths in Iraq were caused by UN sanctions. Oh, and also, did you know Israel is currently breaking like 50 UN resolutions? But that's okay, because they're our friends, right?) But the world isn't that simple. We all learn by 6 years old that doing certain things are wrong to people. The sad thing is, most Americans still think in this "all white, all black" world when it comes to "terrorists" or "bad people". Sure, Saddam is a bad man. Does that automatically go to "We should stop him"? Doing what is "right" doesn't always lead to doing what "produces a good result", contrary to all the children's books we've read.

For example, if I were to agree with what you just said above, I would have to agree in invading about 50 different countries, from Libya, to the Congo, to North Korea, to middle eastern faction-states, to Soviet satellite countries, to maybe even China (ohh they torture a BUNCH of people...trust me). Similarly, over 30 nations, not all of them good, possess weapons of mass destruction. We invade all of them too right? If you say yes, then you have proven EXACTLY why the U.S. is in all of this mess right now...being hated by everyone. Because we support or attack anyone at the drop of a hat, citing that we should do it because "they are wrong" and "we are right". Just because you have "might", doesn't mean you have "right"!

If the United States is under an immediate threat, or is being attacked by one of these "bad countries"...I think we should retaliate, by all means (I don't mean terrorists either! That's a whole different ball game. We do NOT attack terrorists. That makes MORE terrorists!). But I don't know of any country in the world right now who "goes after" people that are bad, or that think differently from them.

Greta

Flashaholic
Hey guys! Guess who? C'mon... y'all knew I'd show up in this thread sooner or later... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I'd like to ask this of everyone... this thread was going just fine and several like-minded individuals were sharing some information and having a good discussion. I'd like to try an experiment, if I could. Let's leave these good people alone to their discussion. Let's not get into the whole "who's right/who's wrong" thing and have this thread end up in the train wreck that the others seem to end up in.

If anyone has a differing opinion on this topic, I would like to ask that you start your own thread to discuss it with those who are like-minded with you. I really don't want to close any more threads guys... it's getting tedious... and I'm really hating the way these discussions are always ending up.

So will you all agree to give this a try for me? Please?

Thanks in advance... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Hmm...that is a pretty good idea. Wanna create like a "liberals only" subforum in the Cafe, since we are in the minority? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Hawk... don't tempt me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bob... no worries, my friend... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've pretty much managed to control my desire to post on these sorts of topics (fell off the wagon a couple of times). But I still read'em!

Darell

Flashaholic
Just thought I'd let you know that I'm reading 'em too! My current policy is to keep my butt out of both political and religious threads.

I have enough problems in my REAL life... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif