PT 40 Failure

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the batteries to see if they're compressed from screwing the light down. Also, check the flat spring in the module that contacts the battery, and bend appropriately if necessary.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would one proceed to bend the flat spring that contacts with the batter? Pliers?

Thanks.

Darkaway

Enlightened
Grab a 1" square piece of aluminum foil, fold it over on itself a couple of times, and drop it in the bottom of the battery compartment. Works like a charm on my PT 20 and 40. As Mr.Spock used to say; "primitive but effective".

Monsters_Inc

Banned
RonM, you live in NJ - PT headquarters are in NJ, what's your issue with not wanting it returned under warranty?

Those of us here on the other side of the world have a genuine issue to contend with: whether it's cost effective to send via international postage!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
How would one proceed to bend the flat spring that contacts with the batter? Pliers?

Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just poke at it with a screwdriver or something. It bends easily enough.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two PT 40's. When one quit, while on its first set of batts, I assumed it was the bulb. Two new bulbs proved my assumption wrong.

I'd rather not have to get the 40 repaired under warranty. Can anyone think of what may have gone wrong and a possible fix?

El Lobo

Newly Enlightened
Is there a small crack in the end where the lanyard loop is? I had one crack there and stop working. I took it back to Popular Outdoors and they replaced it, saying that was the second one they had seen crack in that spot. Strange, but just a thought.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
RonM, you live in NJ - PT headquarters are in NJ, what's your issue with not wanting it returned under warranty?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If I can easily repair it myself, then I'd rather do that. Plus it saves me a couple bucks shipping charges.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've just been too busy to try them yet. Will let you know after I do.

Ted T

Newly Enlightened
I dropped my Tec 40 and it stopped working. I found that the thin stainless steel strip in the bottom of the battery holder had dented, preventing proper contact with the batteries. The strip is held in with sticky foam tape. I pulled the strip out with a hook, used it as a pattern and made a new thicker one out of copper, and textured it with a drywall hammer (head looks like a meat tenderizer} to help insure good contact. I just dropped it in without gluing it.
Ted