why are led torches expensive

Z

z_Bad Wolf

To me, high power LED torches appear expensive especially as the components seem to be moderately priced. So, why the high price tags ?

LeifUK

Enlightened
They're not expensive for what they are. There is the cost of the LED, the circuitry, and the casing. The latter is significant since in general the casing has to be made from metal in order to allow efficient heat sinking, and for durability. And the quality of machining is high, using CNC lathes and mills. So no, I don't think they are at all expensive. In fact they are very good value since the manufacturing is usually outsourced to countries with low labour costs. You can buy perfectly usable LED lights on Flea Bay for ~$3, but they are not up to the more expensive ones.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
I think this is, as with most purchases, a matter of deciding upon which level of quality that you want and then paying the price to obtain that quality. Is it necessary to pay top dollar to get a perfectly functional LED light? Of course not. Does a higher price guarantee a better LED light? Of course not. Certain manufacturers have built a solid reputation based upon tight quality control standards, and for those people that value such attributes, the higher price necessitated by that level of quality control is more than acceptable. The purchase of such a light is generally a one time expenditure, as it will outlast lesser quality lights. Some people value this peace of mind and gladly pay for it, others are perfectly content to purchase a mush more affordable light and then replace it should it fail. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that a high price does NOT guarantee a quality light, nor does a low price guarantee junk. Research the light that you are interested in, and buy it based upon it meeting YOUR requirements regardless of price.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
They aren't expensive, you can get a $2 one with 3xAAA at any hardware store (Chineese). The annodization will rub off, the LEDs aren't any good, and you'll hardly use it.

For $100-$200 you can get an excellent quality flashlight like a Solarforce or Surefire, or even better one from one of our builders here on the board such as Fivemega, and a really good quality LED such as a SST-90 or SST-50, and a good rechargable battery like an 18650 or 26650. It will live in your pocket or purse, you'll use it a lot, you'll get amazed compliments on it, people will want to borrow it, and it'll last a very long time.

My personal recommendation is a Fivemega 18650 or 26650 body (longer AA or C sizes), a Nailbender P60 dropin, and a AW 2900mah 18650 or a IMR26650 battery with a Ultrafire charger. I've got the 26650 and a SST-90 in my pocket.

AB8XL

Enlightened
I try to think of all of the associated costs to produce a product from start to finish.

From just a product perspective their is Research and Development (Proof of concept), then Product Development and Testing to prove out the design and determine it's design flaws and how robust it is under accelerated environmental and electrical environments.

Typically there's a couple of design changes along the way to be made, It could be software, hardware or mechanical before releasing a final product. Other costs are marketing, personal overhead and equipment to produce the product and test it.

It's not cheap, I work in a product development test lab for a tier one automotive supplier testing electronic modules and the riggers of testing and validating a product it far more than people would imagine unless their in the field of testing.

Paying $100 - $200 for a good light is usually an investment to something that will last you a life time under normal use.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
The way I see it, it's much like the early days of the rise of the desktop computer and its related components. There was a time that $3K could get you an Osborne 1, whereas today $450 gets you any of a dozen desktop alternatives. Until the adoption rates for most markets that use the output of the expensive LED plants, the per-unit costs will continue to be relatively high.

In the short run, the costs of a simple incan light at the corner store can be attractive: $7 for the light, $4 for a set of four alkaline battery cells. With light use, perhaps another $8 in batteries for the remainder of the year. Compare that to a $40 LED flashlight, and $15 per 18650 Li-Ion cell, plus the charger. That can be $80 for the LED light and supporting items, but less than a fourth that for an incan "equivalent." With heavier use, no doubt LED/Li-Ion recoups the cost differential much more quickly.

The traditional yellowish glow, warmth and feel of an incan bulb is hard to beat. The color rendition is better, images seem more realistic, contrasts can be easier on the eyes, detail easier to see. Some of the "warm" Malkoff LED drop-ins approach this, but none exceed it, IMO. Still, for myself, that's about the last reason for an alternative to a good LED flashlight in my applications for them.

LeifUK

Enlightened
One point I and others forgot to make is that although you can buy a cheap incandescent light from a local shop, it will look like the backside of a sickly glow worm when compared with a modern LED torch, even a budget one such as an ITP A1/2/3.

Polklifer

Newly Enlightened
I am reminded once again of Ruskin's Law.

" It's unwise to pay too much, but it is unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money, but that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do. The common law of business prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it's well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin [1819-1900]

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
I thought I replied to this, but maybe I posted the same reply elsewhere.

LED lights are kind of expensive, but most of thee brands you get steered to here will be lights you can count on. How maany lights have you owned where you have to whack it on something to work. Do you want that light when you are trapped in a mine or a building after an earthquake? Do you want that light while you are sitting on the side of the road fixing a tire. . .Frankly, when is that light ok? The last question is the one you start asking after you own a Fenix, Nightcore, 4sevens, etc.

I do have cheap lights though. I give them to my kids or keep them in a place so I don't have to walk to a good light. If i might need it to work, I get a good light.

One good light like a nightcore ex10 in your pocket with batteries confirmed every morning, is the only light you will ever need.

To see things that don't really need seeing at like 100 yards, I bought a Fenix TK35.

You will notice both of those lights are hard to fill with batteries at Walmart. One runs on an AW16340 and the other on 2 AW18650s. Check them weekly, carrry them daily and you will have light when ever you need it.

I do have a cheap 5 mode AAA for work. It was $20, so it is borderline not budget! It works well, has a good beam and I can lose it at work like I haave my other non-good work lights. I do consider this one a good work light. After a year of never failing use, it has passed the test!

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO....

If you only want a light for occasional use and reliability isn't an issue [think carefully about that] then by all means buy a simple AA, C, or D cell light.

If you REALLY need a light for frequent use and reliability IS an issue, spend the extra money for a decent light. There are plenty of AA based lights that will produce lots of light and can take YEARS of use and abuse. If you think about it, using rechargeable NiMH AA cells is almost a no brainer. Buy a set of top quality cells and a decent charger and you have portable power for a lot more than just your flashlight...

chicken dave

Newly Enlightened
I think it's simple economics - supply and demand. A local businessman I know is fond of saying "The two best ways to go out of business are charging too much, and charging too little." It's an art and science.