Problems with titanium innovations HID N30 - alternatives or newer versions?

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

About five years ago, I purchased a Titanium Innovations (at that time called 'Amondotech') HID N30, and was happy with it for about 5 minutes... extremely powerful, fair price, and a beam that was capable of nicely lighting up my backyard.

...unfortunately, though, I had problems with it from day 1. Battery life was only about 15 minutes. After exchanging the battery for a brand new one, the thing wouldn't even charge anymore (I plug it in, the red lights flash for a couple of seconds, and then that's it - no charging).

Since then I was relying on my much smaller Streamlight Tasklight 2-L, a great light in itself, but of course not nearly as powerful. After having received a little bonus for 2010 :naughty:, I would now like to treat myself to a proper replacement for my broken N30.

Are there any recommendations out there? Should I try a newer N30 again? Has it even changed in the last three years (i noticed the color changed, as mine was green...)? Or are there better options by now? In terms of size, I want to make sure it's not any larger than the N30 - preferably even smaller. It stated about 3200 lumen - I assume that can only come from an HID, correct?

Thanks a lot for your help!