Tailcap WOES - SUREFIRE P6

looman

Enlightened
A friends son toasted his P6 leaving it on pointing down on a desk.

He has mistaken a component in the tailcap as a spare halogen bulb - Magtec style and tried to get at the bulb by pulling the spring out.

In the process, this seems to have completely locked up the tailcap.

On the other lights I own, the components can be stripped by undoing the notched ring used to hold all of the components in place but this seems not to be how Surefire approach assembly

What am I missing here as it does not seem to be field repairable ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Looman

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would replace that tailcap. Any quick-fix would be unreliable. There is another option. You could buy a McClicky switch and install it. The switch comes with instructions. It's not very difficult, but you might have to boil the tailcap to loosen the glue that Surefire puts on the lockring.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I remember this thread from before the "crash". IIRC, the best advice I saw was to call Surefire and tell them what happened. They would probably send you a new tailcap no charge. But like hotwire said, get a McClicky switch. Oveready sells several different models and boot colors, with complete instructions on how to make the change. Oh, and if you don't get as many replies as you'd like, it's a 6P, instead of a P6. Maybe you could edit your thread title. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire has sent me replacement tailcaps over lesser issues, and I'm sure they won't mind sending you one. That said, the mcclicky's a nice option too.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
He has mistaken a component in the tailcap as a spare halogen bulb - Magtec style and tried to get at the bulb by pulling the spring out.

In the process, this seems to have completely locked up the tailcap.

If the spring was pulled out without moving on the rivet (which is very stout), it should be possible to reinstall the spring and hit the ground running. If the rivet was partially pulled out without damaging any parts, you can hammer it back in with a punch and reinstall the spring.