500+ lumens in your pocket - ISO with specifics Inside

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. Still looking for my next light after having a Quark 123^2 for over a year now. Great light, but I'd like something similar, just with more oomph. I'd like something that fits the following bill and am hoping for good suggestions. I can spend about $200 on this.

1. Fit in pocket and has pocket clip. Not going to be used as EDC, so it doesn't need to be invisible when in the pocket. Mostly will just slip it in a pair of jeans pocket when out for walks with GF or dogs.

2. 500+ Lumens. Ultimately I'd like it to be at least twice as bright as my Quark, but have more throw with just as much flood. Good combo light, probably XM-L would fit the bill here.

3. Doesn't need a ton of settings, but I would like it to have at least a H-M-L and be able to get to H quick fast in a hurry if not out the gate with one hand just in case I need to use it defensively, as in shining in someones face. Also would like a very low low for dark room navigation (would also like to use as bed side light/emergency light) without completely blowing my night vision or waking GF.

4. Battery type I am flexible on. I've only used and am only familiar with CR123 up to this point, but I'm guessing to fit the above requirements I may need to branch into a more powerful battery.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
I can't remember what most of the suggestions were, but about a week ago I splurged and ordered a Tri-EDC. Guess the lack of CPF made me do something drastic. :) Thankfully all is right in the universe again, and at some point in the near future I'll have a belated b-day gift to myself.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I can't remember what most of the suggestions were, but about a week ago I splurged and ordered a Tri-EDC. Guess the lack of CPF made me do something drastic. :) Thankfully all is right in the universe again, and at some point in the near future I'll have a belated b-day gift to myself.

Nice! Aluminum or Titanium?

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Aluminum. Wasn't that interested in the Titanium, but I must admit I spent a couple of days trying to justify to myself getting the copper one. I'm a fiend for copper, but in the end that extra $100 would have hurt the wallet a little too badly so I decided against it.

rich297

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I think you made the right choice. It's really the only light I can think of other than MAC's SST-50 that meets your criteria, particularly regarding lumen output. I have an aluminum Tri EDC and a titanium SST-50. I like the interface of the SST-50 better (L-M-H) compared to the TRI-EDC's (H-M-L and no memory) but the TRI EDC is noticeably brighter and is about a half-inch shorter in length. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
I love my Malkoff M91s. While I don't have a light meter, the output is greater than a Nailbender SST50 rated at more lumens than you are looking for. To be fair, I am running them on three RCR123s in a Z3.

Latest posts